From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AnalogUnscaledReader gives somewhat different reading than AnalogMultiChannelReader

I compared the AnalogUnscaledReader with the AnalogMultiChannelReader and found that they were about 6 % different, with AnalogUnscaledReader giving the lower reading. I'm simply measuring a constant +0.6 volts, in differential mode between channels AI 8 and AI 0.

I've attached some example code which gave me the result. It was derived from the AcqVoltageSamples_IntClk example provided with NiDAQmx 8.0.1, which I am currently using.

Does anyone know what's wrong?

Tim
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,995 Views)
Hello Tim,

Good news, it's probably not something wrong with your board or your code.  The difference is described in the DAQmx C Reference Help, located in Program Files >> National Instruments >> NI-DAQ, under NI-DAQmx Concepts >> NI-DAQmx Key Concepts >> Reading and Writing Data >> Data Format and Organization >> Unscaled Data.  If you are using a M-Series or AO device, AnalogUnscaledReader returns data that is not calibrated and the MultiChannelReader returns data that is calibrated.

Regards,
Micaela N
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,972 Views)

Thanks Micaela,

Somehow I suspected that. Is there a more elegant way to get calibrated unscaled data other than performing a post-acquisition calculation to translate the double variable returned from AnalogMultiChannelReader back into a 16 bit number? Ulimately, my data will be stored in a database and it would be a lot more efficient to store it as a 16 bit unsigned integer (my values will always be positive) rather than a real or floating point number.

Tim

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,964 Views)
Hello Tim,

Returning a double is not as efficient for a database; however, the NI-DAQmx driver returns only the calibrated data in waveform or floating point data types.  This is described in the Data Formats section of the NI-DAQmx C Reference Help in the Data Format and Organization section. 

Regards,
Micaela N
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,947 Views)