From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Analog aqcuired waveform: Missing samples or ai/clk jumped?

Hi,
Using the NI6281 device I am trying to aqcuire a sine wavefrom from an external generator of about 1kHz (In LabWindows CVI). When the waveform is plotted there are random jumps in the sampled voltage, almost as if the ai/SamlpleClk paused for a short time. At first I thought it may be because there were multimule tasks running but this still occurs when only  the ai task is running. When the array is examined the missing / pause in ai/clk  is easily seen. Code is below

int airead = 0;
float64 aidatain[1000] = {0};

//Analog AC Sine capture
DAQmxCreateTask ("", &AItask);
DAQmxCreateAIVoltageChan (AItask, "Dev1/ai5", "", DAQmx_Val_RSE, -2.0, 2.0, DAQmx_Val_Volts, "");
DAQmxReadAnalogF64 (AItask, 1000, 10.0, DAQmx_Val_GroupByChannel, aidatain, 1000, &airead, 0);
DAQmxWaitUntilTaskDone (AItask, 10.0);          
DAQmxClearTask (AItask);
PlotY (toppanel, TOPPANEL_aoWAVEFORM, aidatain, 1000, VAL_DOUBLE, VAL_THIN_LINE, VAL_EMPTY_SQUARE, VAL_SOLID, 1,
    VAL_RED);

This frequency should be easily sampled for such a fast device, what am I doing wrong?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,508 Views)
You haven't configured the timing for the device, so it is not performing a hardware timed acquisition.  As you have it, it is performing a software timed acquisition, so the program (and data acquisition) is at the mercy of the OS thread scheduler.  To perform a hardware timed acquisition, you are just missing a couple functions (DAQmx Timing, Start & Stop functions).  Take a look at the shipping examples.  In CVI, goto Help>>Find Examples.  Navigate to Hardware Input and Output>>DAQmx>>Analog Measurements>>Voltage.  Then look at Acq-IntClk.prj.  Or, outside of CVI, browse to your National Instruments directory, go to NI-DAQ\Examples\DAQmx ANSI C\Analog In\Measure Voltage\Acq-Int Clk.
-Alan A.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,500 Views)
Hi Alan,
   Thanks for the information. Sorry about posting 3 empty mesaages, I had used the TAB key then <return> by mistake.

Andy.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,491 Views)