From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Analog Triggering

I need to control galvo scanner in this way.

I have an analog synchro signal from a pulse laser. So I need to read this signal with ni-usb-6363 and synchronize AO to control the galvo (it controlled by analog signal). And I need to get this trigger signal in VI for increment a counter (for increase an angle).

I think I need the Pause Trigger to synchronize AO with signal from laser. Is that right?

I've read about the Analog Trigger Event so I think I can use it to increment a counter in LabVIEW, but I don't know how to get it in VI.

signalFromLaser.png

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(1,167 Views)

try Trigger Property Node

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(1,148 Views)

There are no Events here

taltsutamatu_0-1652952238106.png

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(1,142 Views)

I doubt that a Pause Trigger is what you'll want.

The "Analog Comparison Event" is actually an internal digital signal rather than a software-side event you can catch with an Event Structure.  You can use it as a timing or trigger signal for other DAQmx tasks.

I made a quick example I could only test on a simulated device.  You'll need to tweak several things to make it work on your end.  Here I configured AI to be triggered by the ao0 signal from the same multifunction device and also to use the "Analog Comparison Event" as a sample clock for the AI task.

I set up AO to output a continuous sine wave on ao0, and I also configured a counter to count the # of "Analog Comparison Events" seen.

You'll look to trigger AI off the external laser pulse signal, and you'll probably use the "Analog Comparison Event" as a sample clock for your own galvo controlling AO task.

-Kevin P

CAUTION! New LabVIEW adopters -- it's too late for me, but you *can* save yourself. The new subscription policy for LabVIEW puts NI's hand in your wallet for the rest of your working life. Are you sure you're *that* dedicated to LabVIEW? (Summary of my reasons in this post, part of a voluminous thread of mostly complaints starting here).
Message 4 of 6
(1,117 Views)

thanks a lot. Can I ask u another question? How should I generate analog signal by analog trigger? I tried VI from example --> Continuous Output (analog pause trigger), it works, but there are too many signals. I need one impulse per trigger signal, like this:

2022-05-23 101351.png

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(1,042 Views)

In the example I posted (msg #4), I use the Analog Comparison Event as a sample clock signal to drive the AI task.  You could use it the exact same way for your AO task to produce 1 output sample per 1 external analog pulse.

Were you able to open it or do I need to save back earlier than LV 2018?

Note that when using an external signal as a sample clock, the best practice is to declare the sample rate to be the highest feasible sample rate you might end up with.  Be aware that this declaration has *no* effect at all on the actual sample timing.  Only the timing of the active edges of the external signal control that.  But your declaration of a rate can affect the buffer size DAQmx sets aside for AI tasks.  (It will also show up as the "dt" value in a waveform, but the "dt" will merely correspond to whatever you declared.  It isn't to be trusted.)

-Kevin P

CAUTION! New LabVIEW adopters -- it's too late for me, but you *can* save yourself. The new subscription policy for LabVIEW puts NI's hand in your wallet for the rest of your working life. Are you sure you're *that* dedicated to LabVIEW? (Summary of my reasons in this post, part of a voluminous thread of mostly complaints starting here).
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(988 Views)