From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Analog Output sometimes underflows.

Hi,

Two models have the same behavior:
Asus P5LD2-VM (Socket 775. i945G, Audio,VGA,GLAN,USB,PCI-E,m-ATX,DDR2,SATAII)
Asus P5WD2 Premium (Socket 775,i955X,Audio,2xGLAN,1394,USB,ATX)                
Regards,
Ivan
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 21
(2,363 Views)
I have encounted same problem too!  We wish to controll 3 Analog Out channel on PCI-6229.
When we increase Analog Output rate (more than 20KS/s), then Buffer underflow error(-200016) is occurred. So, I alter "Data Transfer Mode" from DMA to Interrupt, then the error is eliminated.

In my case, this problem occured on SUPER MICRO motherboard(ModelName:X7DAL-E+). This motherboard has 2 PCI33 slots, 2 PCI-X slots, and 2 PCI-e slots. This problem occured on both PCI33 slots only. (It does NOT occured on PCI-X slot.)

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 21
(2,333 Views)
Seems to be quite common problem. M-series bug?
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 21
(2,329 Views)

Hi All,

We were able to reproduce this issue on an ASUS P5GC-MX board with a P4 using a PCI M-series. We haven't dug into the low level bus interactions yet, but basically it appears that the initial DMA transfer is not happening as quickly as it does on typical motherboards so when we start the generation the onboard FIFO overflows. The work around for this is simple: you can use a start trigger and there will be enough of a delay (unless the trigger comes right after the DAQmx start is called) for the FIFO to fill and the generation to start successfully. If you're not using a start trigger, you can still add a delay between the first sample clock and the internal start trigger to allow time for the FIFO to fill like so:

1 ms worked for me, you may need to add a slightly longer delay depending on your system. I've attached an example as well.

Please post back if this will not work for your application or if you have additional feedback. We will likely be adding some code to compensate for this problem in the next version of DAQmx.  

thanks, 

Andrew S

National Instruments

MIO Product Support Engineer

Message Edited by stilly32 on 01-12-2009 04:15 PM
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 21
(2,165 Views)

Quick correction: We haven't dug into the low level bus interactions yet, but basically it appears that the initial DMA transfer is not happening as quickly as it does on typical motherboards so when we start the generation the onboard FIFO overflows undeflows.

Thanks, 

Andrew

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 21
(2,160 Views)

Hi!

Nice to hear that the problem is not forgotten :).

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 21
(2,149 Views)

Hi,

I just wanted to point out that I have found this 200016 buffer underflow error has now been found on Intel Extreme motherboards as well as ASUS P5xxx motherboards, and it occurs with internal software triggering too.  In particular it occurred just when running MAX.  See:

http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?board.id=250&thread.id=46795

Sincerely,

Bill Anderson

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 21
(2,065 Views)

Bill raised a couple good points:

To work around this in C use:

DAQmxSetStartTrigDelayUnits(taskHandleAO ,DAQmx_Val_Seconds);

DAQmxSetStartTrigDelay(taskHandleAO, .001); 

Also, you don't have to use an external trigger to take advantage of this work around, AO always uses an internal start trigger so you don't have to use an external trigger to delay from, the dleay can come from the internal trigger. 

Thanks, 

Andrew S

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 21
(2,060 Views)

Does this problem occur with MSI motherboards as well?  We think we're running into the same problem with an MSI (MS-7528 ver 1.0).

We were successfully running our application (generates three channels of AOs, regeneration allowed, update rate = 500kHz) for quite some time on a Win2000 desktop with a PCI 6229.  We had not changed the Data Transfer Mechanism but I believe it is DMA by default (right?).  The same application has also worked successfully for quite some time on an XP laptop with a USB 6259.  We have only the one AO task (i.e. no analog in, DIO, counters etc.).

We bought a new XP desktop, transferred the PCI 6229 and the application to it and immediately started experiencing underflow errors.  We worked with an AE and discovered it was an ASUS motherboard and he informed us about the ASUS problem.

We returned that computer and got a new one with this MSI motherboard.  Same problem.  Any ideas?

0 Kudos
Message 19 of 21
(1,981 Views)
UPDATE: We implemented the Trigger Delay suggested by stilly32 and the problem was solved (Thanks stilly32!).  Looks like MSI motherboards exhibit the underflow problem as well.
0 Kudos
Message 20 of 21
(1,978 Views)