Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Analog Output: Board stops outputing mid way through the buffer

I'm using a PCI-6229 to create an analog waveform of my choosing.  I have written a frequency sweep from 12-36 kHz with some adjustments to the amplitude along the way.  The waveform comes out fine most of the time when I sample at the maximum 833 kS/s.  However, every once in a while, the waveform stops midway and I get the following error:

"Measurements: DAC conversion attempted before data to be converted was available."

The message recommends reducing the output frequency (this is undesireable for my application) or reducing the size of the buffer.

How can I make my waveform more robust?  When it fails, it costs me about a days worth of work and in my application, I need to do this every 10 seconds.

In additon, DMA does not work on my motherboard, so I am forced to use interrupts.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,823 Views)

In additon, DMA does not work on my motherboard, so I am forced to use interrupts.

Wow, I'm impressed it *ever* works without DMA.  There are a few semi-obscure tweaks that *might* help a bit, such as setting the Data Transfer Request Condition to be "On Board Memory Less Than Full".  But frankly, I'd be looking to replace the motherboard to get DMA back.  That'd be far more likely to make your app reliable.

-Kevin P.

CAUTION! New LabVIEW adopters -- it's too late for me, but you *can* save yourself. The new subscription policy for LabVIEW puts NI's hand in your wallet for the rest of your working life. Are you sure you're *that* dedicated to LabVIEW? (Summary of my reasons in this post, part of a voluminous thread of mostly complaints starting here).
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,813 Views)

Hi,
DMA is much more accurate than using interrupts. The problems you are experiencing are to be expected. If you need the accuracy that comes with using DMA I suggest you consider a mother board that supports DMA.
Regards,

Ima
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
LabVIEW Introduction Course - Six Hours
Getting Started with NI-DAQmx
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,791 Views)