Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accessing and Acquiring Data from PXI-7854R without using LABView

Hello,

I am using Reconfigurable I/O PXI 7854R in a PXIE-1078 Chassis. I am using Windows 10. 

I am trying to use 7854R without using labview for data acquisition. I am looking for some APIs like the Python API for DAQmx which is compatible for 7854R. Any support in this would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(1,474 Views)

My 5-minute search brought these up, hope they point you in the right direction.

https://nifpga-python.readthedocs.io/en/latest/

https://github.com/ni/nifpga-python

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

New to the forum? Please read community guidelines and how to ask smart questions

Only two ways to appreciate someone who spent their free time to reply/answer your question - give them Kudos or mark their reply as the answer/solution.

Finding it hard to source NI hardware? Try NI Trading Post
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(1,441 Views)

Hello,

Thank you for the reply. I have gone through the documents.

Can you please confirm if I would require LabView Software to acquire data every time when using the FPGA Interface Python API.

I Understand  that LabVIEW FPGA will generate bitfiles (.lvbitx). Will Labview be required once generated?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(1,424 Views)

My understanding is that you generate lvbitx files using LabVIEW and you can use Python APIs to control the FPGA later on.

Unfortunately, I am a LabVIEW user and could not confirm on Python side. If you do not get an appropriate reply from other forum members it would be best to reach out to NI Support to get a confirmation (btw, you need SSP to get support).

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

New to the forum? Please read community guidelines and how to ask smart questions

Only two ways to appreciate someone who spent their free time to reply/answer your question - give them Kudos or mark their reply as the answer/solution.

Finding it hard to source NI hardware? Try NI Trading Post
Message 4 of 10
(1,416 Views)

LabVIEW is only required for creating the .lvbitx file. The python API interacts directly with the drivers to talk to the device, it doesn't go through LabVIEW. 

Once you have a bitfile that works for what you are trying to do, then it's fine to remove LabVIEW from the machine.

Message 6 of 10
(1,392 Views)

Hello Santhosh, 

Sure, will look into the possibilities and get in touch with NI if needed. Thank you for the support:)

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(1,386 Views)

Hello Terry,

Thanks for the support. I have gone through it and got the right path to proceed 🙂

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(1,382 Views)

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the confirmation. I have a few more doubts regarding how to proceed in this. I would like to Acquire data from analog, digital and PWM pins. Can you please guide me with some Example codes on how to acquire data using 7854R with the FPGA Python API.

Also we have a .lvbitx file which was generated some time ago. Can i reuse the same file with the Python FPGA API. If yes, let me know how to use it.

Thanks in Advance for your Support!!

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(1,377 Views)

I would recommend looking at the examples that R Series installs within the LabVIEW folder here:

<LabVIEW Folder>\examples\R Series\Basic IO

as a starting point.

Existing .lvbitx files will most likely work with the Python API, but we only officially have tested with ones created with LabVIEW 2016 and later.

Message 10 of 10
(1,320 Views)