Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accessing PCI-6220 under Agilent VEE

Hi all,

I am trying to access a PCI-6220 DAQ M-series board under Agilent VEE Version 7.5

Since the M-series boards are not supported by the traditional DAQ driver (NIDAQ32.DLL) it can not be done the usual way?

Does anybody has an idea whether there is a DLL I could use or another way how to do it?

Thank you,

UliK
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(9,422 Views)

Hi,

National Instrument give support for Software, where we can test our Drivers. This is why I had copied a part from the Readme. There you can see the supported Application Softwares.

I searched our WebSite for a dll for DAQmx, like the one you mentioned for traditional DAQ but I didn´t find anything that helps.

If I where you!? Next Step: "I would ask Agilent."

Copy from the NI-DAQmx 8.0 ReadMe

NI Application Software Support

The following table lists the NI application software versions supported by NI-DAQmx and Traditional NI-DAQ (Legacy). If you are not using NI application software, refer to Microsoft Visual Studio Support.

NI Application Software Versions Supported by NI-DAQmx Versions Supported by Traditional NI-DAQ (Legacy)
LabVIEW 7.0 and later 7.0 and later
LabVIEW Real-Time Module 7.1 1 and later 7.0 and later
LabWindows/CVI 7.x and later 6.0—7.x
Measurement Studio 7.x and later 6.0—7.x2
1 To use LabVIEW Real-Time Module 7.1 with NI-DAQmx, you must use NI-DAQmx 7.2 or later.
2Traditional NI-DAQ (Legacy) does not include a Measurement Studio C++ or .NET interface.

Microsoft Visual Studio Support

The following table lists the programming languages and Microsoft Visual Studio versions supported by NI-DAQmx and Traditional NI-DAQ (Legacy).

Programming Language Visual Studio Versions Supported by NI-DAQmx Visual Studio Versions Supported by Traditional NI-DAQ (Legacy)
ANSI C 6.0 and later 6.0 and later
C++ 2003 (7.1)1
Visual Basic 6.0 6.0 SP62 6.0 SP63
.NET Framework 1.1
Languages
(C# and Visual Basic.NET)
2003 (7.1)
1 Requires Measurement Studio 7.x
2 Support through ANSI C type library
3 Support through ActiveX

Best regards

Alex

NI Switzerland

Message 2 of 12
(9,393 Views)
This seems like a question that should be addressed to Agilent.
John Weeks

WaveMetrics, Inc.
Phone (503) 620-3001
Fax (503) 620-6754
www.wavemetrics.com
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(9,388 Views)
Hi All-

The NI-DAQmx .dll for the C API is "nicaiu.dll" .  A discussison of the C API installs with the driver at Start>>Programs>>National Instruments>>NI-DAQ>>NI-DAQmx C Reference Help.

As for instructions on how to call the ANSI C functions within, I agree that a call to Agilent for their advice is in order.  As Alex R mentioned, Agilent VEE is not supported directly so this method is untested and not officially supported. 

Hopefully this helps-
Tom W
National Instruments
Message 4 of 12
(9,378 Views)

Never actually trying this I am just guessing.  I think you could try compiling one of the ANSI C examples into a dll.  As long as you had DAQ installed and allowed the user to pass in the DeviceName/physical channel I see no reason why that wouldn't work ( I am assuming VEE allows you to call dlls).  But, as I guess you have gathered this has never actually been tested.

StuartG

Message 5 of 12
(9,367 Views)
Dear All,

I got the NI-m-series board running using the C DLL finally. I attach an example VEE program
(Vers.7.5) and the header file to this mail.

In short:
- I used the compiled library nicaiu.dll in folder ...\windows\system32
- to make things simply I used the NIMax to define a NIDAQmx-task interactively (voltage range, sampling frequency etc. but you may use the corresponding functions in the dll as well... (the task I called MyVoltageTask)
- I modified the header file nidaqmx_vee.h. Here the thing which did not work first was the passing of the taskhandle. In the functions DAQmxCreateTask and DAQmxLoadTask it has to be defined as long *taskHandle in all other functions as long taskHandle!

If anybody needs more info, please let me know,

Uli Krieger
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(9,365 Views)

Hi Uli,

ist es vielleicht möglich wenn du diesen Eintrag liest, dass du dich eventuell mit mir in Verbindung setzen könntest, da ich wie du ein M Serire DAQ Device mit VEE ansprechen möchte und noch diverse Fragen dembezüglich habe.

Vielen Dank

Uwe Ender

Message Edited by Support on 11-06-2009 08:41 AM
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
(9,306 Views)
Hi everyone!
I baught NI PCI-6511/13 Digital IO cards with NIDAQmx support.
I want to use Agilent VEE 7.5 that does not support NIDAQmx right now.
I saw all options (i hope) how to work with NIDAQmx in Agilent :

1. Use C API calls ( check registered classes : NI DAQmx C API in ActiveX and .NET ) - but problems with data types ???
2. Use C API calls ( import nicaiu.dll + rewrited header file for Agilent data types)
3. dotNET support : NationalInstruments.DAQmx.dll --------> with this option i have a problem for trying to use.
    After all installs : NIDAQmx 8.0 ; even Visual Studio .net 2003 there is no class in .NET list
    called NationalInstruments.DAQmx !

This is an example from Agilent forum (?) for .Net usage i guess (?) i attached .
Here i saw this class name NationalInstruments.DAQmx in .NET list .
NationalInstruments.DAQmx.dll is in National Measument Studio dotNet folder
But i did not find it in C:\Windows\System32\   folder !!!
There is no registration of this dll. National supports .net languages ; so i want to use
NIDAQmx dotNET support in any program - not only VS 2003 !

Is there solution at all?

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(9,241 Views)
Hi!

Look at my repaired example
This works fine with NI6513

i modified " *reserved " to "reserved" and there is no problem with "NULL" byRef value.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
(9,137 Views)

Hi,

I'm currently using VEE 7.5 and trying to take data using NI's DAQPad 6015.  Though I found the post for the PCI-651X under VEE very helpful, I'm still having problems with my code.  I'm using the posted "nidaqmx_vee.h" and the "nicaiu.dll."  I would like to acquire data from a channel until I tell it to stop.  Does anyone know how to fix my code to make this work?

Thanks,

Darren

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12
(8,898 Views)