Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AI on PCI-1200 not responding to selected base address

I have a PCI-1200 that is 'not responding to the selected base address'. 

If I look at it in the device manager (Windows XP) I see that it appears to be working properly.  If I look at it in NI Max 4.6, I get the error message referred to above.  If I use the test panels (and tell it to continue despite the address problem), I see that the DIO and AO functionality appears to work,  but the AI is getting a timeout error.

I have seen, read, and attempted to resolve the issue according to Knowledge Base #2ZK9EEQX ("Not responding to the Selected Base Address" Error).

Specifically, I have:

* restarted the computer enough times to show that the problem is not intermittent, but once it occurs it stays indefinitely.

* determined that uninstalling the card in SW, physically removing the card, restarting and shutting down, and reinstalling the card (physically and with PNP drivers), causes the card to work properly until the PC is shut down.  Once shutdown occurs, the card stops "responding to the selected base address".

* All the latest Windows XP service packs/updates are present/installed in the PC. 

*I have repaired ond/or uninstalled and reinstalled SW including the drivers (NI DAQ 6.9.3), as well as the 488 and serial drivers, NIMAX, etc.

*I have tried juggling/reordering the cards in the PC, but the results have been worse.  Specifically, there are three slots which have a PCI-1200, PCI-6503, and PCI-8430/2 (2-Port RS232).  Alternate configurations have resulted in A) inability to boot properly, and B) non-functional COMM1.

I am currently working with my own IS people to see if I can get an alternate PC for this test system, but I am concerned that, since I don't know why this is really happening on this PC, I may end up with the same problem on another PC.

Any help figuring this out would be appreciated,

Sean

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(4,026 Views)
I would check out the following thread and see if you are experiencing the same issues such as the 5V line only outputting 3.3V.  You may also want to try upgrading the BIOS.  Also definitely post back with the results of trying this in a different computer.
Doug Farrell
Solutions Marketing - Automotive
National Instruments

National Instruments Automotive Solutions
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(4,006 Views)

link fail...sorry

http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?board.id=250&message.id=37988&requireLogin=False

Doug Farrell
National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(4,000 Views)

Hey Doug,

Thanks for responding.

I have verified that the PCI-1200 is receiving 5V.

I have also now gone through the entire process with a second PC.  Both are Dells, but they are different models.  The PCI-1200 started working when it was first installed, but the system almost immediately (within a half hour of installation/boot) began having the same errors as on the first PC and could not be recovered (even with/by a full system shutdown and reboot).

The software involved is:

Windows XP SP3 (clean new install)

Labview 6

NI-Serial 3.5

NI-488.2 2.7.1

NI-DAQ 6.9.3

The NI hardware involved is:

PCI-1200

PCI-6503

PCI-8430/2

USB-GPIB-HS

Since this is now multiple PCs with this problem, with clean/new software installs, I am wondering if there is a compatibility issue between either the PCI-1200 and/or one of the NI SW revs and/or Windows XP SP3?  (The reason for Labview 6 is because the test code is very old and not easily/permissibly changed.)

Any suggestions regarding how to get this working would be much appreciated.  This is one of two testers of its kind on our production floor, and it is currently down because of this issue.

Thanks,

Sean

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(3,971 Views)

The fact that this is repeatable on multiple computers tells me that this is a problem with the 1200 card.  The software you have installed is fully compatible with the card as 6.9.3 is the last DAQ version that supports the card. 

Can you run basic examples with the 1200 and does the same issue manifest itself, what if the card is in the computer on its own without the 6502, 8430 and GPIB?

If your test machine is down and this is a major issue I would recommend contacting National Instruments support which should be a bit timelier than discussion forums at www.ni.com/ask

Doug Farrell
National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(3,951 Views)

Hey Doug (or anyone else who might be able to help for that matter),

I still don't have a solution, but I have done additional investigation.  I will summarize everything below as best I can:

* In Windows XP on multiple  DELL PC models, I am having problems getting the PCI-1200 to work properly.  When initially installed it works, but after the first full shutdown it stops responding to the "selected base address".  The only way to get it working again is to uninstall the card both physically and in software and then reinstall it from scratch.  It then works until the PC is shutdown and I am back to square one.  (Even this does not work 100% of the time, more like 30%)

* I have tried using Windows 2000, because I have other testers that use all the same PCI cards without issue running Windows 2000 (but on older PC hardware that is no longer available).  When I install the card in Windows 2000, it again works (100% of the time, unlike with Windows XP) until the next shutdown, but with Windows 2000 it then refuses to boot until I uninstall the card and start over from scratch.

* I have tried multiple PCI-1200 cards (some taken from other PCs where they were working properly), but the results are the same.

* I did a lot of research on this and have tried to resolve this as a Windows issue, including running chkdsk from the recovery console and/or trying to cleanup the registry, but without effect.  The bios is (now) the latest version.  Aside from the ability to reliably use the PCI-1200 cards, these PCs appear to work just fine.  The only thing I (and my IS guys here) can figure is that there is some sort of IRQ conflict that Windows can't resolve and doesn't report in the device manager?

Any thoughts would be appreciated,

Thanks,

Sean

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(3,858 Views)

Hey,

I find it odd that this is happening on seemingly every situation you can setup (multiple OS, multiple 1200's, different computers).  Because the 1200 is such an old card the problem may be that it cannot operate on the newer machines you are trying to put it on (I recall you saying that it was running on an older machine running 2000).

I think at this point its going to save you time and money if you got a new card to replace it.  Spending weeks trying to troubleshoot two 1200's is probably much more expensive than buying a PCI-6221 (http://sine.ni.com/nips/cds/view/p/lang/en/nid/14132) which should have all the same functionality.

Doug Farrell
National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(3,825 Views)

Doug,

I finally have the tester up and running.  I don't really understand the root cause, but it seems like the PCI-1200 card doesn't work with Dell PCs?  I tried multiple different model PCs initially, but they were all from Dell.  Then I saw that everyone (who posted to the internet) who seemed to be having this problem was reporting that they were using a Dell PC of some sort, so I arranged to get a non-Dell PC in and had no problems from that point forward.

Just thought I'd share that tidbit in case anyone else runs into the problem going forward. 

-Sean

Message 8 of 9
(3,802 Views)
Still seems odd to me but I'm glad you got it working.  Thanks for posting back with the solution too!
Doug Farrell
National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(3,790 Views)