Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

6052E device can't be found in "Measurement and Automation"

Hello, we're having a bit of an issue here as our NI 6052E DAQ device doesn't seem to be found by the NI software on the laptop it's connected to (using a Firewire connection).

We've been using this device (and the necessary software) for quite a while now, but since a driver for a thermographic camera we had on loan was installed, it seems as though the NI devices aren't found anymore in "Devices and interfaces". When we check the control panel >> system >> hardware >> device manager though, the device is found by Windows (XP sp2). I tried installing the latest "Traditional DAQ" drivers (Legacy) from the NI website but to no avail I'm affraid.

Could anyone shed a bit of light on this please? We need to get the system working again...

Thanks!

Alex

Message Edited by Alexander M on 04-12-2006 06:45 AM

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,296 Views)
Alex,

When this has happened to me, I've had to go into the device manager where you were,  highlight the cards, and delete them out of the list.  Then, do an Action->Scan for hardware changes, and see if Windows finds the cards, and loads the appropriate driver (no ! next to the cards in the list).  After that, try opening MAX again, and see if the cards are there.

If Windows can't locate a driver, or the cards have a ! next to them, you'll have to uninstall NI-DAQ, and reinstall it, then repeat the process above.

Mark

Message Edited by markwysong on 04-13-2006 10:31 AM

Message 2 of 5
(3,271 Views)
Mark,

Thanks for the reply!
As it is now, Windows recognizes the DAQ hardware (there are no exclamation or question marks in the Windows device manager).
It's the NI software that doesn't seem to 'find' the hardware.

Another, possibly interesting, detail: when in 'Measurement and automation', if we click on 'devices', there normally should be a list of different types of devices (traditional, ...).
Even this 'tree' doesn't come up anymore...

We're going to reinstall all NI DAQ software and see if that solves the issue.

Alex
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,227 Views)

Aha.  This sounds like you've got NI-MAX installed, but somehow your NI-DAQ (the software that communicates to your hardware, and is the software layer that LabVIEW or whatever your GUI program uses to talk to your hardware) software isn't loaded or recognized at the moment.

I would go to Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs, and remove NI-DAQ and NI-MAX programs from your PC.  You can download the current version of NI-MAX from NI's website, and it will contain NI-DAQ (traditional) and NI-DAQmx with it.  Install this on your PC, and that should solve the problem.

NI-MAX is just a nice wrapper around NI-DAQ, with a few perks to it, like showing software versions, etc.  If NI-MAX doesn't have NI-DAQ installed, or there is a problem with it, it will do exactly what you just described: it won't have the tree showing hardware in your system, virtual channels, etc, etc.

Mark

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,222 Views)

Dear Mark Wysong,

I am an artist working with LabView on a painting machine. I need a little one on one time with a LabView expert to get through problems I have. The forum would be great but my problems are so simple I cannot even find solutions in the many manuals. My latest problems are taking an image, making an array and then performing simple math on the pixels. I am in the process of moving from RoboLAb to LabView. I spend so much time just studying and moving parts from other programs around, there has to be another way. tomlohre.com

Tom Lohre artist/scientist
Has a operating painting robot using RoboLab/RCX
Developing a LabView/ NXT robot that analyzes an image for aesthetic quality.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,890 Views)