From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5 differential inputs and 4 single ended with SCB-68

i am a little confused about how i need to wire this and how to aquire the signal. i am trying to take 5 differential inputs and 4 single ended with the SCB-68. i have gotten the differential inputs to work, but am i having problems with the single ended ones. they are all from accelerometers, with a voltage out for each axis. i can wire it to take the differential between each signal and the ground, but i would think there is a better way. i thought i would be able to wire each led to a terminal and then the ground to the "ground" terminal, but i cannot get the daq to read it this way in my vi. can anyone help me? thanks
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(3,906 Views)

Hi JJC,

Sorry to say that You cannot connect signals like that!

You cannot have both differential and single ended connection modes at the same instant on a single DAQ card.

Either  have all AI channels SE or all AI channels in Diffferential mode

Just curious, which DAQ card are you using?

Hope this helps

Regards

Dev

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(3,898 Views)
Wait, Dev, with NI-DAQmx and M-series devices you can mix differential and RSE connections. I agree we need to know more about the hardware involved. The SCB-68 is mostly irrelevant to the answer.

With the right hardware, he can connect the 5 differential inputs this way:

AI0-AI8
AI1-AI9
AI2-AI10
AI3-AI11
AI4-AI12

And the 4 RSE channels this way:

AI5-GND
AI6-GND
AI7-GND
AI13-GND

There is no way to have the RSE channels in a single contiguous block of channels. And, using NI-DAQmx he will have to use separate calls the DAQmxCreateAIVoltageChan to add the differential channels and the RSE channels.
John Weeks

WaveMetrics, Inc.
Phone (503) 620-3001
Fax (503) 620-6754
www.wavemetrics.com
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(3,893 Views)
I should mention that my reply reflects the fact that I write in C++ using VC++.net. I know that Labview has access to exactly what I was talking about, and it uses very nearly (if not exactly) the same names.
John Weeks

WaveMetrics, Inc.
Phone (503) 620-3001
Fax (503) 620-6754
www.wavemetrics.com
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(3,889 Views)
John's correct. With both DAQmx and traditional DAQ, you can mix input terminal configurations in a single read and an M series board is not required either. As long as the board supports differential and RSE and there are enough channels available, there should be no problem.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(3,886 Views)
i am using the DAQ PCI 6254 card. this is how i thought it could be done, but i couldnt get it to work. can some one send me a vi with this set up in DAQmx? thanks.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(3,875 Views)

John and Dennis,

Thank you for correcting me!

regards

Dev

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(3,860 Views)

Try something like this.

Message Edited by Dennis Knutson on 03-03-2006 08:33 AM

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(3,854 Views)
>Thank you for correcting me!

It's a pleasure 🙂 With you, we don't get many chances!
John Weeks

WaveMetrics, Inc.
Phone (503) 620-3001
Fax (503) 620-6754
www.wavemetrics.com
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(3,842 Views)