From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Motion Control and Motor Drives

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

zaber linear actuators control using labview

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi

am new at using Labview-{3 weeks old as of 31st May} and i would like to control three Zaber Linear actuator to operate a X-Y-Z translation/linear stage. 

Any advice as to where to start

Regards :mansad:

Jeffrey K.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(7,137 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author newbee2010
1. Study zaber manual on how to control it, or what type of motor/encoder it uses.
2. Select motion controller that supports motor/encoder type: http://sine.ni.com/np/app/main/p/bot/no/ap/motion/lang/en/pg/1/sn/n17:motion,n24:PCI,n1:10209/
3. Refer to Help>>Find Examples>>Hardware Input and Output>>Motion for an example.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(7,126 Views)

hey kate B

thanks for the advice it gave me me a new approach

regards

Jeffrey K.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(7,120 Views)
Do your actuators have the Zaber contollers on them?  If so, you should just need an RS-232 port to control them.  You would then send the commands to do your moves.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(7,112 Views)

Hi, I wrote the LabView instrument driver for Zaber Technologies that's described on our web site. It comes with several example VIs you can experiment with. The Write Commands and Read Responses example is useful for trying out the different commands on the controllers. Once you've played a bit and read through the beginner examples, you might find the Simultaneous requests example useful for your XYZ setup.

Another option for learning how to use our devices is to download our Zaber Console software for Windows. It lists all the commands and settings along with a description of how they all work. Once you're familiar with the devices and their commands, you can either write a script in Zaber Console, or go back to LabView and use our instrument driver.

For a general introduction to LabView, I've been pretty happy with the book LabView for Everyone.

Message Edited by Don Kirkby on 06-14-2010 05:06 PM
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(7,090 Views)