Motion Control and Motor Drives

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what is the differrence between NI motion asst and motion dev module for labview?

Hi,

Could you please tell me the difference between Ni motion assistant and soft Motion development module for LabVIEW also the application areas of both.

Thanx
Mukesh

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,525 Views)
Hello Mukesh,

Do you mean the SoftMotion Development Module for LabVIEW? FlexMotion and SoftMotion are two totally different methods of creating a motion system. FlexMotion uses a motion controller board (PCI or PXI). The software interfaces with the board. On the board there is a lot of processing that is done (ie: PID control). The board interfaces with the motion drive. In a SoftMotion system, there is no motion controller board. You need to use some other I/O technology (ie: DAQ, FieldPoint, RIO, etc) to interface directly from the software to the motion drive. All of the processing that was done on the motion controller is now done in the software.

So FlexMotion is an API to help your software interface with a motion controller board. SoftMotion is an API that enables your software to process data in a motion system (ie: process it the way that a motion controller would).

Motion Assistant is an application environment (separate from LabVIEW) that allows you to set up a sequence motion commands through dialog boxes. You can set up a motion process and test it in Motion Assistant. It is capable of building LabVIEW code for the same motion system. There is also an API that allows you to control Motion Assistant from LabVIEW programmatically.

I hope this information helps. Please let me know if you have any further questions about this issue. Take care!

Regards,

Aaron B.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,520 Views)

That is helpful.

So, how does NI-Flexmotion differ from NI-Motion?  

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(1,627 Views)

Pretty much they are the same thing.  Flexmotion refers to the actual API, while NI-Motion refers to the whole driver installation package (which includes the DLLs, MAX components, etc.)

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(1,613 Views)