From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Motion Control and Motor Drives

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

using model 8752 to move one axis picomotor actuator

It sounds like you've isolated the problem, it's just figuring out how to fix it.  If it is a logic error, then you might try stepping through the code with highlight execution turned on and try and determine where the logic error occurs.  You can also try simplifying your code down and then rebuilding it to try and correct the error.  I can't be 100% sure since I don't have the motors to test and these aren't our VI's, but it sounds like you need to be calling a reset position VI after each motor finishes moving.  Since you only have one drive, it only tracks one position, so it makes sense that the drive would use the ending position of the second motor for the starting position of the first after the first iteration.  I noticed that you had the Reset Position.VI in a case structure and only reset it by pushing the button on the front panel.  I would try calling this VI after each motor finishes it's move and see if that fixes the issue.

Regards,

Chris L
Applications Engineer
National Instruments

Certified LabVIEW Associate Developer
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 21
(4,176 Views)

You are right, when only one drive is connected, the VI's overwrite the previous set's commands. I solved the problem by correct input parameter position. Thank you! 

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 21
(4,171 Views)

But the picomotor driver ticked when command was sent. It will not happen with example VI 

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 21
(4,163 Views)

I need a little more explanation if possible.  When you say the picomotor driver "ticked" what do you mean exactly?  And are you saying that you are sending it a command using some other VI and it worked, but it won't work with the example VI?  Is the example VI the same one you posted to the forum earlier, or is this a new VI?

Regards,

Chris L
Applications Engineer
National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 21
(4,156 Views)

When I used the VI (see picture below) the picomotor driver made a sound continuously, like tick-tock. I do not know if it is normal or something like a signal. But that will not happen for example VI (on Newport's website).

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 21
(4,150 Views)

It sounds like that in your program the drive is continuously sending a signal and in the example program the drive sends a signal and then waits.  It is possible they are calling a VI which suspends the drive between commands.  If the drive makes no noise during the execution of their program then I am not sure, but if it is intermittent with theirs and continuous with yours, then this is most likely the case.  I would compare your program and the example from Newport and see what you are doing differently from them that could be causing this issue.  Look specifically for any VI's in their example named Wait, Stop, Halt, etc.

Regards,

Chris L
Applications Engineer
National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 21
(4,144 Views)
The driver makes no noise during the execution of example VI, even remove the wait part in VI.It is not intermittent. There is not any examples named Wait, Stop, Halt like you said in their example VI. I want to know if it is harmful to the driver. What should I do?
0 Kudos
Message 17 of 21
(4,136 Views)

If you look at page 7 in the manual at the link below (pulled from Newport's website) you will see a paragraph which describes the behavior you are experiencing.  It looks like the ticking sound is a result of the gain being set to high and the motor sitting in the dead zone of ±250mv.  I noticed in your code that you are sending a position of 250 to the motor.  If this corresponds to a 250mv signal, then this is why you are hearing the ticking sound.  It looks like you can stop the drive from making this sound by decreasing the system gain.  I am not sure how to set this for the Newport drive, but it should be an option in one of the configuration VI's.

http://www.newport.com/images/webDocuments-EN/images/18955.pdf

Regards,

Chris L
Applications Engineer
National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 21
(4,129 Views)

Could any one help me out with the 8752 lab view drivers. It seems the example VIs given in the Newport Website does not work for the 8752 controller.

0 Kudos
Message 19 of 21
(3,938 Views)

When I implemented the example there are some errors like figure(1), and my LabView version is 2018 64-bit . I am not sure whether the dll file is 32-bit? Do I need to recompile the file? 

0 Kudos
Message 20 of 21
(1,141 Views)