Motion Control and Motor Drives

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

smc emy2 stepper motor problems

Hi,

I am trying to set up a stepper motor to run with labview 8.2. I am pretty sure that the code I have written should work so I am trying to figure out if I have wired everything correctly, I hope this is the right place for this. I have added the description and manual for the SMC EMY2 stepper motor (page 22 is where I am looking mainly for the wiring, I am using the 5-point Stoppable Type) and manuals for the two NI DAQs I am using, NI9474 for the control singals to the motor and NI9423 for receiving signals from the motor. I am using an external power supply with these that is set to 24V. I have the NI 9474 in slot 5 of the cDAQ-9172 and the NI 9423 in slot 6. I have attached to the power supply cable wires wires as described in the EMY2 manual to the power supply and the motor runs fine when using the attached controller, then I have attached the I/O wires as follows:

Brown - Vsup of the NI 9474
Blue - Com of the NI 9474
Pink - line 0 of the NI 9423
Orange - line 1 of the NI 9423
Yellow - line 2 of the NI 9423
Red - line 3 of the NI 9423
Green - line 4 of the NI 9423
Purple - line 3 of the NI 9474
Gray - line 7 of the NI 9474
Black - not attached
White - line 2 of the NI 9474

I can get the NI 9474 to output a signal but the stepper motor does not seem to react at all. I had a colleague recommend that I connect the - terminal of the power supply to the ground terminal, is that a good idea. If anyone can think of something to help that would be great and if you need more information just ask and I'll try to get it.

Thanks.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,754 Views)

Hi rlacroix156,

Looking at page 22 of the stepper manual, it looks like there are two seperate power supplies that are referenced.  Are you using 2 power supplies? Also, have you considered using just one module since you are only using 7 lines?  Then you eliminate the split grounds between the modules.  Which brings me to another point.  The 9474 DIO lines are tied to the power supply ground.  The Blue and Brown lines you mention, are those DC2 or DC1?

Kristen H.

Message 2 of 3
(3,729 Views)

Nevermind, I figured out the issues.  Thanks for the suggestions though.

Ryan.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,718 Views)