Motion Control and Motor Drives

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

servo operation

Hi,

This may be a little obscure, but For a college project I am designing a self tuning guitar based on frequency detection of each string. I will use six hs-422 Hi-tec servos mounted in the body to adjust the tension of each string according to its frequency error.
I have checked that the torque associated with the servos match and exceed that required to adjust the string tesion.
Considering I am just in the planning stage of design I haven't quite figured out where to start!
The direction of a servo arm depends on the pulse width of an input signal sent via a conrol input.

Initially I need to design a frequency detection system that will determine the frequency of a string (perhaps after the string is struck). This frequency then needs to be compared with a set variable frequency. the difference between the two should then be used to send a signal to the control input of the servo and "tell" it to either increase or decrease the tension of the string according to the difference found.

I know this project will provide me with hours of fun (and stress probably), as my interests are in music and electronics! I have designed and built guitar pedals in the past and this project would serve as the proverbial icing on the cake.

Any help with any aspect of the project would be hugely appreciated as I hope to get stuck in as soon as possible!
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,684 Views)
Hi,

this sounds like a very interesting project. A self tuning guitar sounds feasible - at least as a college project. You can count yourself lucky as you will only have to tune 6 strings. My instrument would require the tuning of more than 200 strings so I think I will resist the impulse to do the same thing for my piano ;).

But now more seriously:
Even though your motors' specs seem to indicate that they are strong enough for the task you should consider adding gears with high transmission ratios to your motors. I'm pretty sure that there is no way to get stable tuned strings without a mechanical gear as you need very high accuracy. Gears also decrease the power requirements of the motors so they will not have to run with full power just to keep the strings in place.

Could you please talk about the setup you are planning to use? Is it possible to use a desktop PC or do you need a portable solution? Is there any NI hard- and software available to measure the frequency of the strings or to control the motor?

Best regards,

Jochen Klier
National Instruments Germany
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,680 Views)