Motion Control and Motor Drives

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

reading encoder index signal

Hi,

I'm wondering if there is a way to read the index signal from my encoder (aside from using the find reference VI's) without having to split the wire into a digital I/O pin. I'm trying to use a position feedback potentiometer and index signal from a motor to do a find home routine.

Thanks,

Thomas from GTPUMA

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(5,321 Views)

Thomas,

It depends on the encoder and other hardware you are using.  On the encoders I have worked with, the index signal was a digital signal and thus would require a digital I/O pin.  I would say that your find reference VIs are going to be the best way to go, is there something in your application which prevents you from using them?

Regards,

Greg H.

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(5,305 Views)

My home position is specified by an analog value (potentiometer) hence, I can't use the Find Reference VI's.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(5,299 Views)

Hi,

What particular device are you using?

I think I am confused as to what you are trying to do then.  If you are using an analog potentiometer then you should be able to find the home position based on that, you wouldn't need to use the index signal.  You also cannot use both as feedback.  If you just use the potentiometer then you know what voltage level corresponds to the home position and this is all you need.

Regards,

Greg H.

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(5,287 Views)