cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Following error occurred" in MAX

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi, 

I'm using the PXI-7350 and UMI 7774 to control two servo motors with the 1D Interactive environment in MAX. Currently, the motors aren't hooked up, so I'm just plotting the Axis position in MAX. Yesterday, everything went well and I got nice plots, but today after I restarted the system, the "Following error occurred" light came on in MAX for all 4 axes (see attached). I'm not sure what set off this error, does anyone have any advice?

Thanks,

Jess

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,509 Views)

Hello Jess7b,

Were the motors hooked up yesterday when everything went well? What happens when you connect the motors? Is it possible you need to reset some of the settings?

ZK
Licensing Product Owner | NI
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,480 Views)

Hello Jess7b,

I looked into this some more and what's most likely is that a configuration setting wasn't saved. When you restarted the system it lost that setting and needs to be reconfigured.

ZK
Licensing Product Owner | NI
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,475 Views)

Hey ZofiaK, 

Yes, I also suspect it has to do with the settings. Today, I noticed something else quite strange. If I input a target position less than 1000, then I wouldn't get the following error on MAX, but the axis status would display "Move is complete" with the current position counter still at 0. When I try resetting the position, the position counter would go into the negative. See the images I attached with 999 as the target position. If I input something over 1000, then the following error would occur. I have tried changing the settings back to default, but nothing has worked so far. Let me know if you have any ideas for what might be the cause of this issue. 

Thanks again, 

Jess

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,471 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author jess7b

@jess7b wrote:

Hey ZofiaK, 

Today, I noticed something else quite strange. If I input a target position less than 1000, then I wouldn't get the following error on MAX, but the axis status would display "Move is complete" with the current position counter still at 0.

Thanks again, 

Jess

1000 is the default value for a following error. A following error occur when the position read by the encoder differ by a value greater than or equal to the set following error value in a closed loop configuration from the programmed position. Obviously if your motor is not hooked up the position read by the encoder will always be 0 even if you send a 500 steps command to the motor.

To get rid of the error you can connect the motor and the encoder to the drive or change the current settings to Open Loop Stepper and for each axis set the type of feedback to None.

Ben64

Message 5 of 7
(3,450 Views)

hi ,

Are you already solute this question?

now ,i use the servo motor like you face the same question.

i think if you have time we can connect and you can teach me. 

my qq : 810135367      

email  810135367@qq.com

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(2,859 Views)

Hey, the project has been passed onto someone else, but I believe the issue was with the encoders of the motor malfunctioning. 

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,856 Views)