Motion Control and Motor Drives

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to control stepper motor from driver 74194

how to control stepper motor from driver 74194 that i got from http://home.cogeco.ca/~rpaisley4/Bipolar.html ?
any one have the code?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(4,112 Views)

They claim to be able to control via parallel port.

You could check with them how to do that.

In LabVIEW, Help>>Find Example>>Search with 'parallel' key word.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(4,099 Views)

I think the example shown in the circuit diagram "external controls using optocouplers" would be the most suitable when using a stepper motor controller board with step and direction outputs. You will need some more circuitry (quite simple) to control both direction inputs with just one output, a simple inverter which can drive the optocoupler in one of the direction lines will do.  - Anyhow, the circuitry you are going to use is a very basic one, and the stepper motor will operate in full step mode only. This usually yields a "harsh" and probably "rattling" behaviour of the stepper motor. Also, the resolution of the motor movement is restricted to its full step angle (if you have a motor with 100 steps per rev. or 3.6 deg per steps, it is NOT possible to drive the motor to postions off the 3.6 deg grid). Also, there is no feature for controlling the motor current, so you are restricted to motors with at least 0.6A current handling per coil, if you use "weaker" motors they probably will burn. From my experience, you may use motors with 2x up to 4x of the driver's current rating (i.e. 1.2A to 2.4A), they usually will run properly if you do not exceed the maximum mechanical load. 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(4,085 Views)