Motion Control and Motor Drives

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

control a linear actuator

I need to be able to control a linear actuator from labview.  Can someone show me an example of how I might do this?  Also, I have no idea how I should wire the actuall motor up so that it can go forwards and reverse.

thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(13,401 Views)

Hi BernoulliLizard,

There are a number of example programs available for NI Motion Control hardware that can be found in the LabVIEW Example Finder (Help»Find Examples...). Additionally, for some third party motion control systems there are additional instrument drivers available on the Instrument Driver Network that should make programming in LabVIEW much simpler.

For suggestions on wiring to the motor specifics on how to perform motion control in LabVIEW, details on what hardware you are specifically using would be required. Is a PCI or PXI motion control card being used? Is the motion controlled via serial commands? What specific drive, controller, and motor are you using?

Thanks,

Matt
NI Community Team
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(13,377 Views)

The linear actuator has a listed input voltage of 12 volts (max current 5 amps).  The actuator is model FA 4-12-30", made by Fergelli Automations.  I have attached the circuit that I connected the actuator to, but I could not find any examples of the Labview code that I could use to actually run it.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(13,309 Views)

Hello,

What will you be using to supply the voltage? I took a look at the product and it appears the voltage would be supplied directly to the linear actuator. This should be a relatively simple process with LabVIEW (again, depending on what is actually used to supply the voltage). Would the goal essentially be to control the amount of voltage being supplied to actuator?

This process shouldn't be too difficult, we will just need to know what hardware is being used.

Matt
NI Community Team
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(13,287 Views)

Hi Matt,

I also need to control a linear actuator via LabView, the goal is to control movement of actuator in different frequencies. The actuator I have is L16-P from Firgelli. It is also a simple actuator, which can move when is supplied power. The hardware I use is PCI-6024E and the connector block is NI SCC-68. So what kind of motion control I should use from LabView samples and how should I connect the actuator to the connector block?

Thanks,

Eileen

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(13,263 Views)

Hi Eileen,

I'm not sure how exactly the Firgelli actuator would be wired, but according to their datasheet it can be controlled by "simply applying a DC voltage to extend the actuator, and reversing the polarity to retract it."

I would recommend starting with using the DAQ Assistant Express VI to output a DC voltage from the PCI-6024E. There is a tutorial on Getting Started with the DAQ Assistant that should be very helpful. You will want to check out the "Configuring DAQmx Express VI using the DAQ Assistant (Analog Output)" section to set up a DC voltage output. Then whatever Analog Output channel you have configured your DAQ task for can be wired to the voltage input of the actuator.

I hope that information is helpful!

Matt
NI Community Team
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(13,240 Views)

Hey,

I was wondering if I could use my existing NI USB-6341 X series DAQ with my Newport actuator http://search.newport.com/?x2=sku&q2=LTA-HS. Are they compatible and could I use the DAQ to control motion of the actuator ?

I am not very experienced with using a DAQ so would be helpful if you could explain in simple terms. My primrary application is just to use the actuator to control vertical motion of a stage.

Thanks,

Vedant
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(12,853 Views)

Hi Matt,

I have similar problem with PI actuator. My model no. M 238 5PL 

I am using PCI express card.

Please suggest some VI. I am attaching manual where they have given input/output. i have also attached the datasheet.

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(6,010 Views)

It might be more helpful to create a new post, since this one was last commented on 6 years ago and you will have better visibility.

As for your issue: what PCI card are you using? While we typically recommend using our motion hardware, it is possible to use a DAQ cards. You will have to create tasks that generate the signals required by your actuator.

Brian.D
NI Product Owner
VeriStand
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(5,994 Views)