Motion Control and Motor Drives

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

connecting encoder to umi 7764

I need to connect an absolute encoder with voltage output to the UMI-7764.  where and how do you connect?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,733 Views)

Hi Michael, 

First of all, the encoder voltage level is dependent on the NI-Motion controller and not the UMI. All NI-Motion Controllers (NI-7330/40/50) take only Quadrature encoder inputs from 0-5V (0.8V input low and 2V input high).

NI Motion controllers do not support absolute encoder inputs, so your options are pretty limited. If the absolute encoder is an SSI encoder then you will need to use FPGA code to read the SSI which cannot be accomplished on the NI-Motion Card. However, if your are using a Binary Encoding Absolute encoder then it is possible to use external circuitry to pull just a quadrature output from the absolute encoder which can read by the NI Motion Controller. 

Hope this helps!

Message 2 of 4
(2,702 Views)

Thanks for the explanation,

I want to connect a digital incremental encoder to Umi 7764, My encoder is supporting RS422 signal. 

Can I use this UMI 7764 to read that data? 

If it's helping my encoder Vionic Renishaw Digital Incremental Encoder. 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,633 Views)

It's no problem to use incremental encoders with the UMI box. Just connect the A /A B /B and I /I wires to the corresponding terminals. The UMI box accepts both differential signals (RS422) and TTL level signals (single ended signals). 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,486 Views)