Motion Control and Motor Drives

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vibration Frequency

Hi,

I am currently working on a robotic project which involves a locomotive autonomous robot.

I have a few DC motors attached to the robot. One of them spins at about 7000rpm. As a result it causes massive vibration.

Thus I would like to find out how to measure the vibration and plot its frequency response to obtain the maximum vibration frequency.

This would help me in purchasing the correct vibration dampener.

Can anyone suggest how I can accomplish the above?

Thanks. 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,631 Views)
Maybe an "acoustic analysis" (in case the vibration frequency is in the audible range) helps. You can use a cheap condensor microfone on the microphone input of the sound card of your pc, or use an additional amplifier stage and use it with an adc card. There are many programs available with features like Fourier analysis etc so you can detect the peak frequencies of vibration. 
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,627 Views)
Can I hook up a accelerometer sensor directly to a digital oscilloscope which will then perform FFT on the data to obtain the frequency response?
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,623 Views)

To measure vibration, you will want an accelerometer (or two) and signal conditioning for the accelerometer.  The NI 9234 is the most cost effective data acquisition device for accelerometers, though we do offer signal conditioning for standard data acquisition boards. 

What NI hardware are you using now?

Preston Johnson
Solutions Manager, Industrial IoT: Condition Monitoring and Predictive Analytics
cbt
512 431 2371
preston.johnson@cbtechinc
Message 4 of 6
(3,617 Views)

I currently do not have any hardware to measure the vibration. I just need to conduct the measurements a few times. Thus I don't need dedicated hardware for it. Simple basic setup/equipment will do the job in my case.

Can you recommend other ways? 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,601 Views)

Oscilloscope cannot just hook up to accelerometer.

You really need to build a signal conditioning circuit, and if you wish to read it with LabVIEW, you can try finding your scope's instrument driver from ni.com/idnet.

So you've two options, do hard work on circuit or investment on 9234.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,578 Views)