Motion Control and Motor Drives

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

V and Viso 24VDC power supply for UMI and Servo drive

The UMI has V and Viso power supply:

i connect 24VDC for the V,C connectors on the UMI,

and a different 24VDC for the Viso,Ciso connectors on the UMI.

That is great! Now....

1. I need to connect the The third party Servo Drive to +24VDC also,   

Can i connect it to the same power supply of the UMI? if yes, to which one? V,C or Viso,Ciso ?

2.  I have the Puls+,Puls-  signals in the servo drive that i nned to wire them to the UMI.

The Step+ connected to the STEP(CW) of the UMI Axis control connector, 

Where i need to wire the Puls-  from the servo drive? to the C or Ciso ???

3.  In the servo drive there is a  "Servo On" signal that is need to be connected like this:

"Servo On" to   Servo Drive-Ground, and the +24VDC of the servo drive is connected to the power suplly.

Actually, when  "Servo On"  is connected to Servo Drive-Ground, the servo drive is in ON state, the shaft has holding torque.

I want that the servo will be ON only when i click "initilize" in MAX,

So i try to wire the "Enable" signal directly to the "Servo On" and its doesnt make sense... cause the "Enable" is output +24VDC

and the "Servo On" signal is nned to be connected to the ground,

So finally i realize that i need to use the "Enable" to activate a RELAY that close the circle and activate the "Servo On" signal... 

And here is the question:

The "Enable" in the UMI is always output 24VDC, when i use the jumper on the UMI Axis  to "Low" or "High" it dont changes,

the "Enable" is always output 24VDC, so why its like that?  is the jumper to Active Low doesnt mean that the "Enable" is "On" and output 0VDC ?

Please xplain cause i'm lost here and for sure i wire the UMI in wrong way that explain why my servo is not moving....

4.  The "Enable" signal on the UMI axis is a combination of some signals (inhibit all, fault, etc..)

Can i connect all this signals (inhibit all, fault, etc..)  in some way that i can be sure that the "Enable" is changed only when there is internal error

and not some external reason made the "Enable" Off... this is will be teriffic for me to learn and Debug the motion

For example: i think to wire the  UMI/Axis1/"Fault" signal directly to +24VDC and not to wire it from the servo drive,

is that possible? after i know for sure that the setting is ok, i'll change the "Fault" to be connected as input directly from the Fault output of the servo drive.

That is all for now, hope somebody can answer this in simple way with little explanation.

P.S.  I allready read all the manuals, so please, no need to send links to the manuals or knowledgebase articles

cause probably i dont understand what is there, and that is why i'm posting this here

Many thanks, and Happy New Year for you all.

Manfried

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,768 Views)

Hello Manfried,

1. You should be able to connect the same power supply (V,C) as long as it is capable of handling the current required for both the drive and the UMI. 

2.  What exactly does the Puls signal refer to for your servo motor drive? 

3. What are you measuring the 'Enable' signal across? This should be done across pin 6 and Ciso. Do you see the signal vary when you disable the axis?

4.  If you want, you can provide the necessary voltage to the inhibit/fault inputs. Please refer to the UMI-7774 manual (Section 3-4) for voltage considerations. (http://www.ni.com/pdf/manuals/373359b.pdf)

Vivek Nath
National Instruments
Applications Engineer

Machine Vision
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,735 Views)

Hello Vivek Nath

1. You should be able to connect the same power supply (V,C) as long as it is capable of handling the current required for both the drive and the UMI.

4.  If you want, you can provide the necessary voltage to the inhibit/fault inputs. Please refer to the UMI-7774 manual (Section 3-4) for voltage considerations.    
     i'm connecting  24VDC 1A for the power supply (V,C), and another 24VDC 1A for the  (V iso,C iso)

2.  What exactly does the Puls signal refer to for your servo motor drive? 

i solve this problem, thanks.

3. What are you measuring the 'Enable' signal across? This should be done across pin 6 and Ciso. Do you see the signal vary when you disable the axis?

i'm measuring the Enable signal  across pin 6 and Ciso, the signal is not change its state.

i set all the thing needed in MAX (Home, Reverse,Fwd Limits) Fault,

also set the switches on the Axis on the UMI correctly. Fault = active low, Enable = active high, Limit=active low.

i also  connect the inhibit_ALL and Shutdown from the Global Stop connector on the UMI to the V-iso, to be sure that there is no inhibit_all or shutdown that

can affect the Enable signal of the axis (pin 6)

Finally, when i Kill the Axis in MAX, the Enable state doesnt changed!

Manfried

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,728 Views)

Hello Manfried,

I tried this out on my end. Is the 'Disabled' LED for the axis always lit on the UMI-7774? If so, try changing the DIP switch settings on the UMI and ensure that you have the axis enabled in MAX. If not, please elaborate on the status of the 'Disabled' LED in different situations. Killing the axis should definitely disable the axis.

Vivek Nath
National Instruments
Applications Engineer

Machine Vision
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,669 Views)