Motion Control and Motor Drives

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stepper motor control with Limit Switches

Hello All,

I'm new to LabView so I apologize if anything I say comes across as confusing.

I'm in need of some help developing a program to move a sample plate using stepper motors inside an instrument I am building. There are 2 motors, one for each axis (i.e. X and Y) as well as limit switches for the forward and reverse direction of each motor. The limit switches are hardware and do not require a program to stop movement once one is triggered. The sample plate will be closed off from the environment (and under vacuum) so I will not be able to see it once the system is complete. I'm trying to make a program that does the following:

1. Moves the sample plate until it reaches a limit switch.

2. Disable the limit switches.

3. Step the sample plate out until it no longer triggers the switch.

4. Enable the switches.

I'm using LabView 2017 with Vision and Motion. If there is any other information that would be helpful, let me know.

I'm grateful for any input. Thank you for your time!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,056 Views)

Hello,

I'm not quite sure what exactly you need help with. Is it coding?  If so, LabVIEW has many great sample programs, which may be a good place to start. You can find them under help>>Find Examples and search for "motion" or "softmotion". NI has two different motion software packages depending on your hardware. We have NI-Motion and Softmotion. Which one do you have? 

What exact hardware are you using (brand and model numbers)? 

You mention you have vision software, are you using any cameras or vision products?

ZK
Technical Support Engineer | NI | Not actually retired but I don't know how to change that
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,038 Views)

Hello,

Yes I'm in need of some help with the coding.

I'm using a PCI-7334 controller with NI-Motion. 

I'm Using an OEM750 driver with RS 440-458 Stepper motors.

The Switches are DB1 Subminiature switches.

What I'm having trouble with, is figuring out how to disable the switch once it is triggered and move the motor 'away' such that the switch can be turned back on - without having to do it manually. In its present state, once a switch is triggered, the motors will not move. I've been able to code the motors move to some position (absolute position according to where the stepper motor is when the system is turned on), and this position is displayed on the front panel. In addition I am able to enable and disable switches on the front panel as well as indicate when/which switch is activated on the front panel.

I have the vision software but I'm not currently using it - the vision and motion are under the same tab on my control pallet. 

Thank you!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,033 Views)

Something must be configured wrong.  On all motion controllers I have ever used(that don't have bugs), you are allowed to move off a limit switch without doing anything special(sometimes clearing error and re-enable axis).

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,018 Views)