Motion Control and Motor Drives

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solution for Low-Cost Single-Axis Motion Control?

Hello,

I am currently researching the options that NI has available for low-cost linear actuators.  I am looking to replace the functionality of a pneumatic solenoid with a linear actuator.  I would like to create a system that uses strictly NI hardware and software.  The system should be capable of the following:
  • Push an object with a maximum force of 500LB
  • Max stroke of 1 foot
  • Ability to monitor and control the position of cylinder (how far to extend preset)
  • Ability to stop/reverse the travel at any point along the stroke
  • Ability to control the velocity of the cylinder (preset)
The parameters for velocity and stroke length (0-12") would be set before the actuator begins to move, hopefully from a LabVIEW operator interface.  These would not be changed on the fly.  Any reccomendations would be welcome!

Thanks

Message Edited by LVB on 06-14-2006 08:49 AM

CLA, CTA
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,359 Views)

For the actuator, have you looked into Industrial Devices Corporation's line of electric cylinders? Long stroke, high torque actuators. You can outfit them with an encoder and limit switches to motior position.

Someone else may chime in with required NI motion control hardware

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"It’s the questions that drive us.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,354 Views)
I suggest first deciding what motor you want to use.  After you choose a motor, you can choose a drive.

NI offers two drives - the MID-765x for servo motors and MID-760x for stepper. motors.  You can then connect the drive to an NI motion controller via a cable.  If the specifications of these NI drives (see manuals) are not compatible with your motor, you can use a 3rd party drive instead.  If you use a 3rd party drive, you will need to purchase a breakout box to connect an NI motion controller's signals to the 3rd party drive.  NI offers two breakout interfaces - the UMI-7764 for a screw terminal interface and the UMI-7774 for a D-sub interface.

The NI motion controllers that I would recommend are the 7330 (for stepper only), 7340 (stepper/servo), and the 7350 (stepper/servo).  The NI-Motion driver will allow you to command the motor to move to specified positions dynamically and monitor the current position.  You can also set velocity constraints or set the velocity directly.

You can find more information on all the NI hardware that I have mentioned on the NI Motion Hardware page.  This page lists features for the hardware and provides links to product pages (which contain links to the product manuals).

Allen H.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,334 Views)

Dear Allen_h, I hope you can help me with my problem:

I am trying to connect the UMI-7774 (previously connected to a PCI card 7334 within a PC with windows XP) to a gecko driver g203v, but I cannot manage to move a stepper motor.

I have tested the driver and the motor with the PWM signal from the PCI card and it worked, for frequencies from 4k to 33k of the PWM.

When I measure the output signal from the UMI device, I get 5 volts amplitude and a normal step signal, but when I connected to the Gecko driver the signal is 1.5 volts amplitude.

The Gecko driver requires a source configuration, whilst the output of the UMI device is sink open collector. I tried to connect the step signal directly to the driver but it did not work, then I connected the UMI ouput through a resistor to 5V source (sink configuration), but it didn´t work. 

Does anyone knows if the UMI device have to be connected only with NI motors drivers?

or can anyone advice how to solve the problem?

Best wishes,

Victor

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,427 Views)