From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Motion Control and Motor Drives

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Softmotion - Velocity/Time Move Woes

Im trying to conduct a velocity time move in Softmotion such that my move finishes within a set time and follows a custom profile. The motor controls a variable filter which has a logorithmic scale, hence to create a linear power rise through the filter its position needs to start of quickly then slow down. 

I generate a linear curve by means of a look-up table from a calibration file which gives the step position as a function of transmission. 

I attach some example code. The problem I am having probably relates to not knowing the form the motion generator is expecting, and the soft motion read-me files are all rather confusing. 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,488 Views)

Hey Maximus,

Could you elaborate on what it is you are looking to do, and what it is that you are not understanding regarding the soft-motion read me files? 

What are you aiming to achieve in your application?

Best,

-Jelmer

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,437 Views)

I am trying to move a filter wheel in a known time-frame and defined velocity. 

I have a filter wheel with known position and attenuation (transmission). This is stored in a array so that I can look up the power and position values for a known (laser with constant power) source.

Assuming I want a linear response of the filter I need to start of fast and slow down at low attenuation rather than it following a traditional S-Curve. 

I'm not sure how the velocity move works as it is generating an error each time; presumably it requires that the specified velocity and time points are in some kind of solveable format; but there is no description as to what these should be, i.e. what rules they must follow to not generate the error.

Ben

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,419 Views)

Ok, I am still struggling here! I figure the errror has something to do with the way Softmotion requires the velocity and time coordinates to be specified. 

As I understand it the position points are absolute but relative to a zero start position. How are the velocity points expected?

I have managed to get a velocity time move to complete for a 5 point segment using a trial and error method changing the velocities until it solves the profile, having both negative and positive values. I want to be able to set the velocity in the program but I don't know how as the velocities I calculate are (according to the softmotion module) invalid.

I have tried calculating the end velocity by a few methods though none seem to work. 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,274 Views)