From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Motion Control and Motor Drives

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Servo Position NI 9516

I am writing a code for a servo project I am working on.  I am using a NI 9149 chassis with a NI-9237 Strain/Bridge Module, a NI-9205 Voltage Input Module, a NI 9211 T/C module, and NI-9516 Single Axis Servo Drive Module.  I setup the NI Chassis in Hybrid mode.  I put the input modules under the FPGA Target, and left the Servo module in Scan Interface mode.  Is there a way to get the servo position down to the FPGA loop?  My DAQ loop that I am running on the FPGA target will be running at 2kHz.  I plan on streaming the DAQ data with the Position data to the Host using a FPGA FIFO.  I want the position synchronized with the daq channels.  Just wondering if the position could be read from the servo drive module at high speed or if I need to add a counter card.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,028 Views)

Hi Scott92,

You could acquire the position from the 9516 but you'll need to migrate all the motion application to the FPGA because you can't use the same module on Scan and FPGA mode at the same time. This, I would like to mention, is not supported.

A motion application usually doesn't run so fast and the Scan engine can go as fast as 1 ms. Adding the delay to pass the information to the FPGA might be enough synchronization for you but if you want more reliability, you would need a counter module to retrieve the position from the encoder on the FPGA

Regards,

PedroR

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(1,989 Views)