From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Motion Control and Motor Drives

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PXI-7350 Controller and MID-7604 Power Drive

Hello,

I have some PXI-7350 Controllers and a MID-7604 Power Drive. I hope that someone could give me some advices. 

I'm trying to control 3 stepper motors (5-phase, not encoder or feed back). The user manual said that the NI PXI-7350 controller can control up to eight axes of motion with the two 68-pin motion I/O connectors. However, I just see 2 axes on MAX. Could I control 3 motors using this controller? And can the MID-7604 control 5-phase stepper motor? 

Please see the attached picture and let me know whether I connect wrong.

I'm trying to build a LabVIEW program for linear motion control using these devices. If you already have the program, please kindly give me a reference. 

Thank and have a good day!

PXI-7350.jpg

PXI Chasis.jpg

MID 7604.jpg

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(6,963 Views)

Hi,

The PXI-7350 has four different versions: 2 axis, 4 axis, 6 axis, 8 axis. You have the 2 axis version, so you will only be able to control 2 stepper axes. 

The MID can only be used with 2 phase steppers. My recommendation for 5 phase steppers is to use the drive that the manufacturer recommends. You should be able to use the PXI-7350 to interface to any stepper motor drive, even if it is a 5 phase drive.

If all you want to do is control 3 stepper axes, you might just look at using a PXI-7334 since it is much cheaper. The PXI-7350 has a lot of functionality that you don't need.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(6,944 Views)

Thank you for your advices.

I already have the 5-phase stepper drives, a UMI-Flex6 and a UMI-7774. So I will order a PXI-7354.

Firstly, I will try to use the PXI-7352 and UMI-7774 to control just one motor. Could you please give me some instructions to configure the PXI-7350 to control a 5-phase stepper motor?

Thanks again!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(6,925 Views)

Hi,

I just received a PXI-7334 this morning. After installing and configuring the 7334 like the 7352 with the Automation Explorer, I tried to start a relative motion on the stepper using Interactive Function. There is no errors but no current on the stepper.

Could you please tell me what is different between the PXI-733x and PXI-735x? And how can I solve this problem?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(6,602 Views)

I have a mistake. The new PXI is 7344. However, I cannot control the stepper motor using the PXI-7344 and UMI-7774. My system still works well with the PXI-7352.

Can someone please explain why there is no current on the stepper? And how can I solve the problem? Or may I give it back to the manufacturer to repair?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(6,572 Views)