Motion Control and Motor Drives

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

P70360 power control and noise suppression

Hello,

First, we are using a NI PXI-7330 controller, a P70360 stepper drive, and a T22NRLC stepper motor to control motion of a rotary stage used in acoustic calibrations.  The switching power supply is causing unacceptable level of EMI during our tests.  Is there a way to programmatically control the power on/off for the P70360?  If not, any ideas on reducing the EMI from the drive?

Second, the home switch we are using is working perfect in MAX but not from LabView.  The switch is tripped and the speed is slowed but the motor keeps turning past the switch.  In MAX, the switch is tripped on the first edge and motion stops completely.  The LabView program I am using is from NI Examples (One-Axis Find Reference with Status Monitor.vi).  Any ideas regarding configuration in MAX that might be different than in the example VI are most appreciated!

Thanks,

Barbara

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,236 Views)

Hey Barbara,

You say that the motor keeps turning past the switch, but it slows. Does it keep going, or does it eventually stop? When it has slowed down, is the axis killed (free spinning) or is it controlling the deceleration? Does it come back to home after it goes past it? (This is one method of finding reference)

As far as the EMI, I currently can't think of any way around it. If it was DC, you could just run a 5V DIO to a relay to control it, but it gets a little trickier with AC.

Let me know a little bit more, and we can try to help you!!

Chris Van Horn
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,218 Views)

Hi Chris,

Thanks much for the quick reply and suggestions.  As far as the home switch is concerned, the motor keeps going.  I am thinking that the problem is within the LabView code (and not the switch) because the switch works perfectly using MAX (stops on first edge).  In LabView, it slows down past the switch and continues moving.  The code that I am using (from NI examples) has a while loop (with a 100 millisec timer).  I thought I would try finding the reference without this while loop and see if that helps.

The P70360 (I believe) is AC.  I read the Danaher Motion P70360 manual yesterday looking for a way to control power on/off programmatically but was unsuccessful.  I did find a number of things to help control EMI that we'll have to try.  Any additional suggestions on either topic are most appreciated!

Thanks,

Barbara

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,215 Views)
I am not familiar with that drive, but any drive I've worked with has an enable input.  Disable the drive to kill the output during your measurement.  I have had to do that with servo drives when making capacitance readings from devices.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,204 Views)