Motion Control and Motor Drives

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Novice to Stepper Motor --- Need help wiring

I recently purchased a stepper motor from Digi-key, and I have underestimated the wiring requirements for the motor. Silly me thought it would be a simple two wire, power + - installation.
The motor is from Digi-Key part number 403-1017-ND.
The motor is made by Danahar Motion (www.portescap.com) part number 55M048D2U.

I have found the wiring scematic for the motor, but it is a just a table of on/off configurations for 4 of the six wires.
I had wanted to use this motor to do 70 steps at 70Hz. That 70Hz signal would be send by a DIO channel.
I have no knowlegde of stepper motors.
What I am looking for is some info on stepper motors. Basic information, where to look, what to read up on. Unless someone knows exactly what I need to do, I would prefer to learn about it my self. So if someone knows of a good online or text referance that would be great.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,210 Views)
Here is a link to a tutorial on stepper motors. It seems to cover them fairly well.

You might also just google:
stepper motor tutorial
stepper motor basics
stepper motor class

I don't really know of a specific source right now, but these queries should get you something.

Hope that this helps,
Bob
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,203 Views)
In any case you cannot connect a stepper motor directly to a stepper motor control board, at least NI does not have such boards. You always need a stepper motor driver unit to supply sufficient current to the motor. It is not possible to drive a stepper motor with a simple I/O line.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,192 Views)
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,165 Views)