Motion Control and Motor Drives

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nonfunctional Axes With UMI 7774 and PCI 7344

Hi,

I am try to identify the failure mode or where the error may be occurring in my system. I am using a UMI 7774 board, PCI 7344 motion controller, and a Haydon DSC4020 chopper drive to control three stepper motors. When testing the Axes in MAX, only Axis 4 control port causes the stepper to move in the clockwise and counterclockwise direction. The Axis 1 control port will cause the stepper to only move clockwise regardless of whether a positive or negative relative position is tested. Finally, the Axis 2 and 3 control ports cause no response or move from the stepper. These tests were done using the same settings in MAX for all Axes and using the same stepper drive.

I tested the resting, clockwise move, and counterclockwise voltage of Pin 4 (the CW Step pin) and Pin 12 (the Dir CCW pin) on the the control port. Here are the results:

Axis 4 (fully functional Axis)

Pin 4:

Resting Voltage - 4.96V

Clockwise Move Voltage - 4.83V

Counterclockwise Move Voltage - 4.83V

Pin 12:

Resting Voltage - 4.96V

Clockwise Move Voltage - 0.064V

Counterclockwise Move Voltage - 4.96V

Axis 1 (clockwise functional Axis)

Pin 4:

Resting Voltage - 4.96V

Clockwise Move Voltage - 4.83V

Counterclockwise Move Voltage - 4.83V

Pin 12:

Resting Voltage - 0.029V

Clockwise Move Voltage - 0.025V

Counterclockwise Move Voltage - -0.029V

Axis 2 (non-functional Axis)

Pin 4:

Resting Voltage - 0.048V

Clockwise Move Voltage - 0.046V

Counterclockwise Move Voltage - 0.046V

Pin 12:

Resting Voltage - 0.64V

Clockwise Move Voltage - 4.96V

Counterclockwise Move Voltage - 0.64V

Axis 3 (non-functional Axis)

Pin 4:

Resting Voltage - 0.003V

Clockwise Move Voltage - 0.004V

Counterclockwise Move Voltage - 0.004V

Pin 12:

Resting Voltage - -0.05V

Clockwise Move Voltage - -0.029V

Counterclockwise Move Voltage - -0.05V

I am trying to understand why there is a difference in voltages if they are using the same settings and moves. Would this be caused from a damaged UMI board or from the PCI card? Any help to fix is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,037 Views)

To further narrow down the issue, do you have another UMI or PCI 7344 to test? This could help us narrow down whether the UMI or the PCI is damaged.

Otherwise, you could also measure the pins from the Motion I/O on the PCI card (see page 5-2 of the manual: http://www.ni.com/pdf/manuals/322504b.pdf).

Brian.D
NI Product Owner
VeriStand
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,000 Views)