Motion Control and Motor Drives

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to LabVIEW and using Elmo Motion Control seeking general guidance

Hello,

I searched the archives and it seems that LabVIEW has been successfully used with Elmo Motion Control products in the past.  I am new to LabVIEW with a few weeks of experience and very little controls experience (undergraduate student currently).  I need to use LavVIEW and a Bassoon servo drive from Elmo to control a voice coil.  I have been reading the Elmo SimpleIQ Software Manual and am at a lost.  (I have been having difficulty contacting the Elmo support staff.)  What I am looking for is some general guidance to get me started; point me in the correct direction so I can get rolling.  I will be using a RS-232 line between the Bassoon and the PC.

The software manual states using Interpreter Language or User Programming Language.  Both of the languages seem to resemble what I remember of C++, sort of.  The document explains "while" and "for" loops, etc.; however, my understanding is that I should be able to use LabVIEW to accomplish such tasks and then just ask LabVIEW to output a command to the Bassoon to control my voice coil.  My best guess is that I use the "System Commands" to output commands to the Bassoon although the software manual also mentions compiling code similar to that of standard programming modes.

Please help me out.

Thanks        
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(5,548 Views)
JMJ,

Since you are new to LabVIEW, a good place to start is with the LabVIEW Introduction Course -Three Hours, This will give you basics of how to program with LabVIEW and it includes different types of loops. As for using your specific devices, you can send commands to it using LabVIEW, there are some good examples of serial communication in the Example Finder under Hardware Input and Output » Serial.  But, you will need to know the command set that your device supports, the commands should be in your device's user manual.
-Marshall R
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(5,528 Views)

Hello,

I went through your project involving LABVIEW and ELMO . I have just completed my graduation and I am working on a similar projrct . COuld you kindly help me? I have am using the ELMO Harmonica and I want the LABVIEW signal I have generated to stimulate a CVC voice coil with the ELMO harmonica for motion control. I am aslo using thee RS 232 line. COuld you please help me with this?

Thanking You,

Looking forward to your reply,

Regards,

PAWAN

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(4,941 Views)

Normally, when connecting to third party drives I refer people to the Developer Zone Article: How to connect the 73xx inhibit and command signal outputs to third party dr...

I was able to find some other information on this drive in other discussion forum posts. The most useful appeared to be the following:

http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?board.id=170&message.id=303781&requireLogin=False

http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?board.id=140&message.id=28311&requireLogin=False

Vince M
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(4,920 Views)