Motion Control and Motor Drives

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NIMCInit.dll NI-PAL Service Manager Error

Hello all,

I'm getting the attached NI-PAL Service Manager error every time I start my computer.  I've tried solution given in this post: http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?board.id=240&message.id=4362 thread with no luck.

If I uninstall the NI-Motion drivers, or remove my PXI-7350 from the PXI chassis, the error goes away.  After I re-install the NI-Motion drivers and re-start the computer, the problem occurs as soon as the "Found New Hardware" wizard completes, and on every boot thereafter.

Any pointers to what I should try next would be helpful.

OS & Driver Versions:
Windows XP SP2 Version 2002
NI Measurement & Automation Explorer 4.4
NI Motion Assistant 2.2
NI-488.2 2.5
NI-CAN 2.5.2
NI-DAQmx 8.7
NI-FGEN 2.5.1
NI-Motion 7.6
NI-VISA 4.2

Hardware:
PXI-1042 Chassis
PXI-8187 Controller
PXI-7350 (Slot 2)
PXI-2566 (Slot 3)
PXI-8464 (Slot 4)
PXI-6254 (Slot 5)
PXI-6602 (Slot 7)
PXI-5402 (Slot 😎
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(4,495 Views)
Hi Mark,

Can you check in the Windows\system32 folder for the NIMCInit.dll?  It is possible to see one of these errors if the DLL doesn't exist on the computer.

Thanks,
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(4,464 Views)
Since my original post, I've tried removed almost all NI software (I had to leave LabVIEW 7.1 installed because I didn't have a CD handy.) and reinstalled everything.  Now I get a similar error when starting NI-MAX (ModName: mxmax.dll).

I should be able to get a LabView 7.1 CD later this week from one of our other offices.  Once I do, I think the next step is going to be to remove _everything_, delete the C:\Program File\National Instruments\ folder, delete all of the Software\National Instruments registry keys, and try a clean install.

Any other tips would be appreciated.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(4,459 Views)
Hi Mark, 

Make sure that when you uninstall everything you also

1.  Uninstall MAX

2.  Delete the MAX data folder (this doesn't uninstall when you uninstall).
     On Windows XP and Windows 2000:
  1. Navigate to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\National Instruments\MAX\Data\
  2. The folder named Application Data is a hidden folder.  You can view hidden folders by selecing Tools » Folder Options..., click the View tab, and selecting Show hidden files and folders.
Note: Remember that deleting the Data folder in its entirety will remove all configuration settings.  The next time MAX is launched, you will have to configure all of your hardware again.

Thanks,
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(4,445 Views)

Everything is working for me now.  Here are the steps I had to follow:

1. Remove all NI software.
  2. Delete the c:\Program Files\National Instruments\ folder.
  3. Delete all Software\National Instruments keys from the registry.
  4. Reinstall all of the NI software and drivers.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(4,385 Views)