From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Motion Control and Motor Drives

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI 9512 with Labview FPGA Interface

Solved!
Go to solution
Is it possible to use the NI 9512 stepper drive module with the Labview FPGA interface or is it only possible to use it with the scan interface? When I try to add the module to an FPGA target, I get an error telling me that Labview FPGA does not support this module with the current version of NI-RIO, but I have the latest version of NI-RIO installed.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(4,938 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author CheckIT

Hi Checkit,

You are correct - the 9512 cannot currently be used in FPGA mode. There is a mistake in the documentation. The 9514 and 9516 can, though.

Jeff | LabVIEW Software Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(4,925 Views)

FYI, now it can 🙂

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(4,027 Views)

I found a compile bug with 9512 on only 9076 controllers when used in FPGA interface mode. It is a "timing constraint due to HSI". NI does not currently recommend 9512 used in FPGA Interface mode on 9076. They recommend using SoftMotion or scan interface mode to use 9512s. I have my 9512 system operating in hybrid mode on a 9076 with SoftMotion now.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,799 Views)

Hi RJ12,

Thank you for the info!

If this problem is holding you up you should give our Applications Engineering department a call at 866-275-6964 to discuss it. The 9076 can have some compilation compatibility issues with our motion modules so it's certainly possible you could be seeing such an error.

Feel free to get in touch with us if we can help out in any way, or consider starting a new thread with more details on the compilation error if you'd like to see if a corrective action report (CAR) already exists.

Best regards,

Andy C.

Applications Engineering

National Instruments 

Message 5 of 7
(3,771 Views)

Thanks Andy. I have been through a full NI support with this issue and have been recommended a different controller (new 9068) in order to fix my issues. I have been assured that documentation will reflect this / probably a CAR after my lengthy support request/testing.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,763 Views)

I suspect a CAR does already exist for this compilation bug as it is a known problem to our engineers. My recommendation would also be to consider a different controller. The 9068 offers an order of magnitude higher performance and will not have the same compile reliability issues. 

Let us know if we can be of more help!

Andy C.

Applications Engineering 

National Instruments 

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,759 Views)