Motion Control and Motor Drives

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mapping the High Speed Capture signal to RTSI

Hello,

Can i Mapp the "High Speed Capture" signal to RTSI ?

When i'm using the motion RTSI example and mae some changes: 

i'm setting the source to "High speed capture"  and the destination to RTSI_0 i 'm getting an error that its possible!

i want to use this input to trigger an action on other pci.

I'm using pci-7344 with umi - 7774 and pcie-1430

Thanks

Mor

Message Edited by MotiM on 08-01-2009 08:47 AM
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(4,346 Views)

Mor,

this is entirely possible, but you have mixed up source and destination. These terms are used from the motion controller's point of view and from this angle the boards expects a HSC trigger signal to come from the RTSI, so the source should be RTSI and the destination is High Speed Capture. In this configuration the 1430 needs to route a trigger signal to the RTSI-bus. If you want to generate a trigger signal at a certain position from the 7344 and route it to the 1430, you will have to use the Breakpoint feature instead of HSC.

I hope this helps,

Jochen Klier

National Instruments

Message 2 of 8
(4,335 Views)

Dear Jochen,

Thank you for your reply.

I try to map the High Speed capture to RTSI , but the HSC doesnt work.

When i remove the RTSI mapping from my diagram, the HSC work and i can capture the encoder position.

I'm using the UM7774, and the HSC is wired to the global connectors (TRIGGER/BREAKPOINT connector)

I also read all the relevant documentation about my hardware and i notice that there is a comment about mapping the motion rtsi :

(from Select Signal vi Help):  Note  You must route signals from the RTSI lines before you enable high-speed capture ,

so i also consider that, it still doesnt work....

I really appreciate if you can take a look about the 2 versions of vi i attached here.

They both need to do the same.

Each vi contains 2 parallel diagrams, one diagram for the single axis move, the move is to target position X,

the second diagram is for the vision, there is "trigger each line" from rtsi line (the motion diagram includes maping the encoder phase A to the rtsi for this purpose)

and i want to use the High speed capture to trigger the start of imaq also.

The example :

HSC in motion activate the start of imaq in second loop.vi 

is a working example that runs good and capture the image.

but its "dirty" programming, i dont think its should work like this.

its actualy a implementation of "busy wait" loop.... ( i dont like it, but work...)

The example :  

HSC triger directly the start of imaq.vi

is hoe i think its should be ( i know that i need to trigger the HSC whitin the time of the timeout of waiting to the start trigger of imaq to accure, that is why i put a big number there... )

BUT, this vi doesnt work, the High speed capture doesnt happend at all...

Can you take a look on these vi and let me know what i'm doing wrong here.

I really appriciate your help.

Regards

Mor

Message Edited by M0Reng on 08-03-2009 02:14 PM
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(4,329 Views)

Mor,

please read again my last post. High Speed Capturing doesn't generate a trigger signal. You can't use this feature to trigger your image acquisition. In your second example you have configured the motion controller and the 1430 to wait for a trigger to be received from RTSI 3, but none of these devices is generating the trigger.

Jochen

Message Edited by Jochen on 08-04-2009 09:49 AM
Message 4 of 8
(4,321 Views)

Dear Jochen,

if i cant use the High speed capture to trigger the start of acqusition,

then what are my choices?

i can use the Breakpoint (Modulos) to trigger the start of acqusition, but if i use breakpoint modulos and map the signal to RTSI in order to use it for "Trigger each line" then i cant use the same signal to trigger the start of acqusition!

I have this hardware : pci-7344 , umi7774, PCIe-1430 and they connected with RTSI cable.

my task is simple:  make straight move from position A to B, after X counts trigger the start of linescan camera acqusition, i need to trigger each line.

What is your sugestion to implement this?

which signal i need to map to RTSI in order to use the trigger eaach line

and what signal i can map to the RTSI in order to use the trigger for start the acquisition.

P.S. i allready test the option to map the Breakpoint signal to RTSI, its work for triggering each line,

but its fail when i also want to use it to trigger the start of acquisition,

so i currently have the vi (the first in my examples) that use the encoder signal (mapped to RTSI) to trigger each line,

and i use somehow  (with busy wait loop..) the High Speed capture to trigger the start of imaq.

i'm kind of dont know where to go from here, i allready read the NI-Motion and Ni-Vision manual,

also the hardware manuals, i need a little push to complete what i;m missing here.

Thank you very much for your support.

Mor

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(4,316 Views)

Dear Jochen,

Can you help here? How can i trigger the start of acuisition?

I still dont understand how i can map the High speed signal to the RTSI in order to use it to trigger the start of acquisition while the framegrabber is waiting on the RTSI line to trigger the start of acquisition.

Thanks

Mor

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(4,299 Views)

Mor,

to make it clear one more time:

With HSC you can capture a position on the motion control board when an external trigger signal occurrs. This feature doesn't generate a trigger signal.

As much as I understand you need to generate a single trigger pulse when the axis reaches a certain position to trigger the start of the image acquisition and then you need to trigger each image line of your line scan camera.

To do so, you need to to use the motion control board's breakpoint feature. This allows you to generate a trigger signal when the motor reaches a certain position. You can route this breakpoint signal to a RTSI line (source = Breakpoint x, destination = RTSI x) and use this signal as a start trigger for your frame grabber. To trigger each line of the image acquisition, you should route one of the encoder phases to another RTSI line and use this signal as linescan trigger. This part seems to be implemented correctly in your code.

I hope this helps,

Jochen

P. S.: I have forwarded the link to this thread to an Imaq Vision expert and he will add a comment if I have missed a part on the Vision side.

Message 7 of 8
(4,296 Views)

Dear Jochen,

Thank you very much !!!

I'm sorry for keep asking for more details until i understand.

(it's happened sometimes when you new to some technology...)

I Change my Vi, its work Perfect! 

Absolute breakpoint maped to RTSI_0 used to trigger the start of imaq,

and encoder signal maped to RTSI_1 to trigger each line!

Thanks again for your support, and thank you for your patient.

M0r

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(4,289 Views)