Motion Control and Motor Drives

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ISM 7412E Get Steps/Rev in LabVIEW

I can set Steps/Rev via Stepper Configuration Utility.

How do I read it from within LabVIEW?

LabVIEW 32bit 2014 and later

Windows 10

ISM 7412E

George Zou
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(3,123 Views)

Are you using the SoftMotion Module for LabVIEW?

Check out the manual:

Using the NI SoftMotion Axis Interface

It seems like most of the functions that would cause your motor to move have the ability to return the number of steps taken.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(3,095 Views)

I'm switching from FlexMotion to SoftMotion.

I need to know Steps/Rev, not "number of steps taken".

Steps means nothing to users.  They uses inch.

With Steps/Rev, I can convert inch to steps, and send to the motor.

George Zou
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(3,088 Views)

Okay, I think I understand what you are asking now.

Unfortunately, there isn't a way to get that info from the ISM via LabVIEW. Here is a list of properties that can be queried in LabVIEW.

If you describe what you are ultimately trying to accomplish with that info, might be able to help brainstorm another way to get there!

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(3,084 Views)

We are using the motor to drive a few linear stages and a rotate table.

Need to move user specified distance (in inch) and rotate to user specified angle (in degree).

Steps/Rev is the parameter must have.

How to get there w/o it?

George Zou
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(3,081 Views)

Since your are using SoftMotion with an ISM, you will be sending commands to the ISM in revolutions.
Therefore, you will have to implement the conversions yourself from degrees to revolutions on your rotation stage and inches to revolutions on your linear stage.

In both cases, you can essentially ignore the step/rev as soon as the ISM is configured.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(3,068 Views)

Since your are using SoftMotion with an ISM, you will be sending commands to the ISM in revolutions.

Why?  What kinds of commands?

I'm using Function Blocks/Express VIs.

George Zou
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(3,065 Views)

So you will tell the function block or express VI to move your motor some number of revolutions and the function or express VI will send a command that command to the ISM.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(3,052 Views)

It's proved that the motor takes steps NOT revolution when call FBs and express VIs.

I moved 6 inches last night, and it matches exactly with the steps/rev setting.

Hard code that number is dangerous.  If user changed it with the config utility without update it in the configure file, that it could cause collision, and damage of optical components worth thousands of dollars, and cause product line down.

It is crucial to be able to read the steps/rev settings in LabVIEW.

George Zou
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(3,032 Views)

Because the number is associated with the motor, why would anyone ever need to change that value after initial setup?

There is not a way to get that number from the config utility in LabVIEW. Sorry.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(3,024 Views)