From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Motion Control and Motor Drives

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I get a 50% dutycycle clockpulse from 7344 stepper drive

I need clockpulses (step pulses) with a 50% dutycycle from my 7344 stepper motor drive. Now I get a very short negative pulse, less than 10us.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,016 Views)
Sorry, it's not possible to change the duty cycle of the stepper output of 7344 boards. The steps are generated by the FPGAs onboard and the duty cycle can't be changed by a parameter.
Here are some additional explanations:

The board has a 16 MHz clock (7344/7334), the duty cycle is going to be 25% and it will correspond to 2 clock cycles in the slowest velocity you can go and to 255 clock cycles in the fastest velocity, if you try to go slower or faster the value will coerce to the 2 and 255 cycles. So on the slowest velocity you will get a 25% duty cycle duration of ~126 nanoseconds ( (1/16e6)*2 ), and in the highest velocity you will get a 25% duty cycle duration of ~16 microseconds ( (1/16e6)*255 ).
Message 2 of 4
(3,016 Views)
If you absolutely have to have a 50% duty cycle, then you can do it in hardware by adding a toggling latch to the output and setting the 'steps per second' to be double what you require.

The output of the toggling latch has a "divide by two" action whose output goes high on the first short pulse and low on the second. This will give a 50% duty cycle, but at half the original frequency.

To make a toggling latch, take a 74LS74 and connect the /Q back to the D input. Feed the short pulses into the clock. Have a search on the web and you're bound to find something.

Sounds a bit technical, but it will be a one-chip solution since a 74LS74 has two such latches, each with a Q and /Q output.
Mike Evans
TRW Conekt
N.I. Alliance Member, UK
http://www.Conekt.net
Message 3 of 4
(3,016 Views)
That is exactly what I already have done.

The reason why I want a 50% dutycycle is that my motor drive circuit can trigger both on positive and negative edge, increasing the resolution by a factor 2.

Thank you anyway!
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,016 Views)