Motion Control and Motor Drives

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help wiring a Delta Tau UMAC to interface with labview.What is needed?

Does anyone have any detailed instuctions on how I can go about hooking up this controller to work with labview?
I have a Delta tau Umac turbo pmac2 and a parker gv drive and 8.5 labview.Where to start?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 25
(7,167 Views)
There are a couple of ways to do it.  If you have the Modbus option, you can to that, but it kind of limits you in what you can do.  You can buy PMACPanel from Delta Tau, but it has not been updated to work with PcommServer.  I currently just use ActiveX commands to communicate with PMAC's.  What kind of things are you trying to do through Labview?
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 25
(7,158 Views)
I guess I should take a step back and see if you are asking about how to physically get them to work.  You probably have serial, Ethernet, and USB on your UMAC.  You can use any, or all, of those to communicate using Labview.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 25
(7,156 Views)
Well nothing particular... I have a linear slide "I Force Ironless" and would like to just set up a couple of positions.
I am new to Labview and would like to just play around.Could you mabe explain how you communicate with activex or mabe you might have a VI laying around?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 25
(7,133 Views)

I can probably send you something next week.  The PMAC takes ASCII serial, also.  If you only want to send it to a few positions, then you may want to try that.  Before tackling the Labview portion of it, you have to be comfortable doing the same thing with the Delta Tau software.  I assume that you have PEWIN32Pro2.  Is your system set up yet? 

You can just do jog moves if the moves are simple, and not coordinated with any other axes.  "J=10000" would send your slide to position(counts) 10000.  If you want to do coordinate system moves, then they must be in a program.  They easiest way to do that over comms is to set up a program in the PMAC that uses variables for feedrates and positons, then run the program over comms.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 25
(7,127 Views)
Yes I have PEWIN32.  But can't find that PMAC.dll file.Mabe I installed wrong?The system is somewhat setup.I can jog it like you said and have a simple pmac program that I have been playing with."Run the Program Over Comms"?Could you mabe explain a little more in detail.

Thanks
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 25
(7,119 Views)

If you will be using ActiveX, then you don't have to find the dll.  I forget what the ActiveX control name is.  I will look it up.  If you have a serial cable, you may want to try that.  Let's say you had program 1 saved on the PMAC.  Program 1 would look like this:

DEL GAT

CLOSE

OPEN PROG1 CLEAR

X(P1)F(P2)

CLOSE

From comms you would just define P1 and P2 as position and feedrate("P1=10,P2=5").  Then send "&1B1R", which means run program 1 in coordinate system 1.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 25
(7,117 Views)
Right now I have it hooked up to a USB. Is serial faster? I will have to look around to see if I can find a serial cable.There must be one laying around. Thanks again, I really appreciate your input.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 25
(7,115 Views)
USB is much faster, but since your aren't transfering any real data, it won't matter.  If you use USB, then you must use ActiveX.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 25
(7,112 Views)

PaulD,

Brian Beal has given you great advice (Thanks for all the input, Brian!). You do need to feel comfortable communicating in the Delta Tau software before going to ActiveX. If you would like to look at some ActiveX examples in LabVIEW go to Help >> Find Examples... >> Communicating with External Applications >> ActiveX

Serial examples: Help >> Find Examples... >> Hardware Input and Output >> Serial

Since you are new to LabVIEW, you also may find the following KnowledgeBase helpful: How to Learn LabVIEW. There are links to a three-hour and six-hour introduction tutorial on this page.

--Michelle

National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 25
(7,079 Views)