Motion Control and Motor Drives

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting Started with LabVIEW Hardware

I am trying to find a jumping in point to learn more about hardware control. I have some experience with PWM motion control and have built chopper motor drivers. However, I am missing some bits on the LabVIEW to controller connection.

Can I use a NI USB 6501 to drive a motor controller with PWM? e.g.How difficult would this be to setup?

Is there a better solution using my PC as a controller? ( I am looking to try labview on some real hardware without spending a fortune)

Thank you,

Andrew

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,995 Views)

Hi Andrew

Unfortunantly our DAQ devices are not able to do single loop hardware timed I/O and are thus not recommended for motion control applications. We do offer a wide range of motion control cards which will fit inside your computer in PCI format. Our motion controller cards are supported by easy to use VI's that will allow you to setup your computer as a motion controller very quickly and efficiently. I have linked our wepage covering the motion controller cards below, please let me know if you have any futher questions.

NI Motion Hardware: 

http://www.ni.com/motion/hardware_selection.htm

Thank You

Eric Reid 

Thank You
Eric Reid
National Instruments
Motion R&D
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,976 Views)
I have been looking all around to find any example to connect USB6501 to Mdrive 23 (stepper motor). Is it possible to control the motor using USB 6501 hardware or I need different hardware?
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,939 Views)

Hi Gingerhale

While it may be possible to generate a PWM from your USB 6501 you will not be able to maintain the same control as you would have with one of our motion controller cards. The NI motion controller card runs your move trajectory and calculates PID control loop responses via a digital signal processor on board itself to provide the necessary torque. Our motion controller cards are fully supported with a wide range of different VI's to help you setup you axis. The motion controller card will also provide you with a higher level of safety as it will continue to operate even if your system locks up.

Resources regarding our Motion Controller Cards:

http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/3367

Listing of different Motion Controller Cards:

http://www.ni.com/motion/hardware_selection.htm

Thank You

Eric Reid 

Thank You
Eric Reid
National Instruments
Motion R&D
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,922 Views)
I already make the Mdrive 23 run by simulate square waveform signal to the DAQ assistant. Is that counted as PWM ? My problem is now figuring a way to have control in delay time so that I could manipulate the distance of the motor moved. I couldn't figure other function that can be used to generate PWM other than Simulate Signal (which I think not the correct function).
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,900 Views)

Hi Gingerhale

Try looking in the example finder for digital pulse train generation. There are several examples that focus around generating digital pulse trains you could perhaps use the finite example of this to control the number of peaks you send to your drive. The issue of using DAQ cards versus motion controls was discussed in the past in this thread.

Thank You

Eric Reid 

Thank You
Eric Reid
National Instruments
Motion R&D
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,884 Views)

I asked around and was able to program Mdrive 23 using USB 6501. I used few different type of loops. The time that I can provide for one cycle of pulse to generate motor movement is within 2-5ms for one . Sometimes the motor had noise that slowed down its speed, but it's not severe. I could also change the direction of the motor and was able to have control on on/off signal.

It was a good experience for me.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,586 Views)