Motion Control and Motor Drives

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Generate DC voltage to control an electric motor

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello. I'd like some help to generate DC voltage to control an electric motor using a NI PXI-6221 M Series Multifunction DAQ and an SCB-68 Connector Block. I'm plugging one wire of the motor to "AO GND" and another to "AO 0". In LabVIEW 2017, using DAQ Assistant, I go to Generate Signals > Analog Output > Voltage > Channel ao0 > Generation Mode: Continuous Samples. Using Simulate Signal VI, I generate a DC Signal, offset 5 (let's say I want +5 V). Both are inside a while loop. That doesn't work. But when I plug one wire to "AO GND" and another to the constant "+5 V" pin of the connector block, it works. I think there's a problem with the generation of the signal in "AO 0". Could someone help me?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(1,977 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author igorgrz144

Yes, it is because the output current of AO is limited (often under 10mA). You need a motor driver to handle the large currents required by the motor and you cannot control directly from just an AO (yes, it might seem possible but only in theory).

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

New to the forum? Please read community guidelines and how to ask smart questions

Only two ways to appreciate someone who spent their free time to reply/answer your question - give them Kudos or mark their reply as the answer/solution.

Finding it hard to source NI hardware? Try NI Trading Post
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(1,967 Views)

It makes sense. Thank you for helping. You mean I need an amplifier to generate the current required, right? Should the PXI/PCI-73xx motion controllers do the job? It's a 12V brushed DC Motor.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(1,954 Views)

Motion controllers are the brains of the motion control system, they work with motor drivers to control motors.

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

New to the forum? Please read community guidelines and how to ask smart questions

Only two ways to appreciate someone who spent their free time to reply/answer your question - give them Kudos or mark their reply as the answer/solution.

Finding it hard to source NI hardware? Try NI Trading Post
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(1,943 Views)