Motion Control and Motor Drives

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feedback control system- Closed loop for voice coil actuator

I am working on a project to design and develop a closed-loop feedback control system using PID. 

Current device (no PID)

The device is a vibratory device made of a linear actuator that is connected to a function generator and amplifier. The Function generator generates the sinusoidal waveform, which is then amplified by the amplifier and then passed on to the voice coil actuator to vibrate at 0.2g -2g of acceleration. The vibrations from the device will then be detected by the accelerometer, which will pass the signal through NI BNC-2110 and displayed in real-time on the LabVIEW program created. 

System -1

Function Generator—>Amplifier—> Voice coil actuator

System-2

Voice coil actuator—>LabVIEW to display acceleration 

New device (with PID)

System-1

Function Generator—> Amplifier—> Voice coil actuator—>PID controller (closed loop)—> Back to function generator (closed loop)

System-2

Voice coil actuator—>LabVIEW to display acceleration

I need to know what specific devices need to purchased from National Instruments in order to build a closed-loop monitoring system which will help maintain the current flow into the voice coil at a fixed value. This will vibrate the device at specific acceleration even when the voltage supply suddenly increase or decrease, the PID will help balance the system.

I am willing to swap current parts of the system (e.g.- Function generator, amplifier) with labview supported parts

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,353 Views)

Hello,

Could you give me some more information about the timing of your application? If you have a very tight timing requirement a device running a RTOS would work best since it would be completely deterministic. If this is the case you should look into our CompactRIO systems.

Regards,

Austin Stanton

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,293 Views)

Hello Austin, 

I do not need a very tight timing requirement. What I'm looking for is to create a basic PID controller to function with NI BNC-2110 device via a NI DAQ card- 6036E which is connected to the PC running LabVIEW.

The NI BNC-2110 device is connected with

1- A regular amplifier(via BNC connection) that is used to drive the actuator.

2- Accelerometer (via BNC connection) which detects the z-direction motion and display in real-time. 

The function generator is a virtual NI program that I built, which I plan to use it in this experiment. 

My requirement is to control the voltage generated from the function generator with a PID control system, such that the voltage received by the actuator is neither too high nor too low. 

Thank you

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,256 Views)