Motion Control and Motor Drives

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Equipment needed for working translation stage.

Hello all,

I am working on gathering the proper equipment to create a functioning translation stage. This will involve the eventual need of 2 stepper motors working on an X and Y axis and a final stepper motor for rotation (3 stepper motors in total). The translation stage will also be operating in a vacuum chamber and the stepper motor we have for use is the VS-U33 (frame size 34). 

Link to type of stepper motor: http://www.e-motionsupply.com/product_p/vs-u3.htm

For the equipment, we are considering using:

• P70530 stepper drive (x3)
  • NI UMI-7764
  • NI 73xx Motion controller

It seems that the P70530 stepper drive has an output of 25-75 VDC, so that should provide our motor with the torque needed. We also have the needed power supplies to power whatever equipment is needed.

My questions are: What other equipment might be required so that everything will function properly? What "NI 73xx" motion controller should we consider using for this system?  

We will also be using Labview for controlling our stepper motors. 

Many Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,801 Views)

As far as I know the "smallest" NI controller board can control 4 axis so any FlexMotion board could do the job.

Don't forget that not all mechanical equipment is vacuum proof. There might be ingredients in the lubricants of the motor, the linear stage and the gears for rotation which will gas out in vacuum (but not under normal air conditions). This can disturb the vacuum and also changes in the properties of the lubricants. 

Message 2 of 3
(2,771 Views)

Hi Jtsanders3,

Give us a call at (888) 280-7645. NI has a team of engineers who spec out systems for our end users. They can help you out with this one.

Ren H.
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,740 Views)