Motion Control and Motor Drives

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drive not enabled p70530

Am attempting a basic stepper motor control project. Three axes of motion, with identical setup on each. Two NEMA23 motors (T21NRLH) work fine, the third (CTP12ELF10 -->NEMA17) does not enable when using the interactive test panel says it is enabled. Tried multiple efforts at troubleshooting, and cannot figure out how to assert the enable input manually. Any thoughts?

HW = cRIO-9073, NI-9512 module, P705030 drive

SW = LabVIEW 2012 RT

screenshots and project file attached

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(6,061 Views)

project file attachment

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(6,060 Views)

I think the first step is to determine whether this is a hardware or software problem. Are you using a P70530 with each motor? Have you tried using a different drive with the smaller NEMA 17 motor? What about a different 9512? What are the status LEDs doing on the 9512 and motor drive when you try to enable the drive?

Cheers,

Andrew C.

Applications Engineering

National Instruments 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(6,040 Views)

Yes - one P70530 per stepper. Status LED blinks green on the stepper in question (= drive enable not asserted), even when test panel says the drive enabled.

Have not been able to swap modules / drives yet today due to multiple unrelated issues on the test rig in question. Will update when info available.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(6,036 Views)

It's an issue with the 9512 module. When I swap the same drive/motor over to a different module, everything works fine. Any thoughts on troubleshooting the module? Or is replacement my only option?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(6,033 Views)

The 9512 modules must be installed in a slot which has a high speed interface (HSI). Generally, this means slots 1-4 of an 8-slot chassis. You should read through the documents here and here to see if this issue applies to your system.

I hope this helps!

Andy C.

Applications Engineering

National Instruments 

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(6,011 Views)

Thanks for the folow-up. Unfortunately the module is installed in slot 3, so it doesn't resolve my issue.....I was not aware of the HSI requirement though - at least I learned something!

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(6,008 Views)

So, you tried the smaller drive/motor pair with a different module and this worked. I am next curious to know if the problematic module works (a) in another slot or (b) with the larger motors. If the answer to both questions is no, then replacement may be the next step. I would recommend isolating the module by iteslf in the 9073 and seeing if the incorrect behavior continues.

Cheers,

Andy C.

Applications Engineering

National Instruments 

Message 8 of 10
(5,999 Views)

Looks like it's clearly the module - it does not work in another slot, or with the bigger motors. Thanks for the follow-up

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(5,988 Views)

If it looks like the module has developed  a problem you should give us a call. We'll be happy to troubleshoot a little further and begin an RMA process if needed. 

Best regards,

Andrew C.

Applications Engineering

National Instruments

866-275-6964

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(5,976 Views)