Motion Control and Motor Drives

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Controlling XY table using a third party hardware and software or NI system (LED panel inspection)

Hi all, 

I have to design an XY table 1000x1000mm(could be bigger) to measure values of LED panels in different points moving the sensor(Thorlabs) and I am trying to decide which approach would be the best. Teach pendant would be an example recording the points in advance. I don't need high speed and the sensor is lightweight. 

Two options:

• Buy the XY table with the software+hardware of the third party controller and drive.
  • Stepper Controller
  • Gantry XY table
  • Motors: Stepper motor model "HL2600M210002". 200W servo motor model "HZ2600M1050XY3"
  • 3-Axis Controller - $1645.00
  • 3 Meter Motor Cables - $75.00/each
  • Software – INCLUDED
  • Controller Enclosure – INCLUDED
  • Controller Power Supply – INCLUDED
  • I/O - INCLUDED
  • Wiring – INCLUDED

Total Cost: $1870.00 + XY gantry table

• Get the XY table without the third party motors and install NI motors, NI Controller, NI drives and NI motion assistant softmotion module.
  • Example: NI cRIO-9063+2XNI9503/NI9505/NI9512+NI Stepper motor/servo motor
  • LabVIEW+SoftMotion module+NI Motion Assistant.

Could I use the third party motors using NI cRIO-9063? Do you know another option to control those third party motors with NI? I would like to use LabVIEW on my laptop using the USB connection with the controller.

Would be easier if the XY table has NEMA standard motors to buy the XY table without them and use the NI NEMA motors? If I use NI 9512/14/16, do I need something else between the motor and the drive?

Any idea/approach is more than welcome. 

Kind regards,

Daniel.

PS: Another option of XY table with 23 NEMA motor and encoder. Could I use these 23 NEMA motors with my NI system? How?

http://www.newmarksystems.com/gantry/cs-xy-gantry/

Thanks a million again

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,918 Views)

I have some experience with this in a setup I use at work. We have a 5 axis camera system (X,Y,Z + 2 magnification axes) with a mix of a three third party motors plus two NI motors (all steppers). What's below is from memory as I can't look at the actual setup right now. I'm sure someone with a lot more experience can correct or can point out inefficiencies in what we're doing, but it does work.

Our setup uses a cRIO-9038 with NI-9503 modules (one for each axis/stepper). Other than the fact that I am relatively new to programming with LabVIEW, we've had no issues using these motors. I started a new project using 4-axis motion as a template for the FPGA VI and just built off of that. No other hardware is required, although we're also using a Digital Input/Output module (NI 9403) to handle limit switches and other Digital Inputs/Outputs we have on our system.

It's important to make sure that your third party motors fit within the secifications of the module (especially voltage and amperage draw).

Our setup is: PC<---USB/ethernet--->cRIO<---FPGA--->NI-9503 Module---->Motor. We have 3 "main" VI's. There's the FPGA VI one that's running in the background, there's the RT VI running on the cRIO, and the main Front Panel VI running on the PC. We communicate between the cRIO and FPGA VIs by using either FPGA Read/Write Nodes, Global Variables, or User-Defined Variables (UDVs) and we communcate between the PC and the cRIO using Network-Published Shared Variables. In our setup we use analog and digital inputs to control the motors (ie. joysticks, buttons), but much of the testing and learning was done by driving the motors in veloctiy mode with buttons or position based mode with x/y co-ordinates using this setup.

We have what you described below in terms of software, however I haven't personally used the NI Motion Assistant. Softmotion was enough for our needs.

Message 2 of 3
(3,725 Views)

Thank you for your detailed answer. Your project sounds so interesting.

Finally we are trying to simplify the system as much as we can, because the application is quite simple so our approch will be 2x Integrated Ethernet Stepper Motor NEMA23 with encoder (they don't need compactRIO), 1x ISM-7411E Digital I/O  to read the home sensors and LabVIEW Full Edition 2016 with NI SoftMotion Module.

The challenge is merging 2 VIs: a) The VI of the sensor getting samples and b) The VI of the motor moving the sensor in each measure. Initially I will use function blocks to simplify the code.

I got the VI of the sensor form the website of the company (open software) and the VI of the motor in the softmotion examples. Now lets see how goes synchronising both VIs.

I hope that it will serve as inspiration for another projects.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,711 Views)