Motion Control and Motor Drives

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Control VFD (Dayton IP 20 Drive) Using LabVIEW

Would it be possible to write a code in LabVIEW to control this drive? If so, how would one wire the drive in order to control it? Also, would like to take readings through an oscilloscope to watch each phase and its voltage over time.  

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(1,966 Views)

Hi akcraigw1999,

The answer depends on how this device communicates. I am not familiar with the Dayton IP 20 Drive, or VFDs in general, to be honest. That being said, you can use LabVIEW to communicate in a wide array of protocols. A lot of third party devices are controlled with serial, using our  National Instruments VISA drivers.

If you find out how it communicates, what kind of data it expects, we can figure out if it is possible to communicate with it. In general, it is going to be best to find out from the manufacturer how to communicate with it, and then go ahead and work on implementing that in LabVIEW, as we are not trained on their devices.

Often times, there is a 3rd-party instrument's driver on our Instrument Driver Network (IDNet), however I did not find a driver for the Dayton IP 20 Drive. Let me know if you have any follow-up questions!

Thanks,

Timothy D.
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(1,944 Views)