From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Motion Control and Motor Drives

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closed Loop Control of stepper motor using linear position sensors

Greetings,

I use a stepper motor with timing belt to enable linear motion in an axis. I can get absolute linear position information with the help of linear sensors and convert them to actual step data using math operations. I was wondering how I can feed this data back to the VI that moves the motor and create a closed control loop. Overshoot and number of pull in's are not a problem as long as the final position is correct (or within a certain tolerance).

My setup is as follows: PCIe 6321 and BNC 2110 for position measurement

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(3,947 Views)

For some reason I couldn't edit my first message which I sent out accidentally before it was complete.

Here's the full version:

Greetings,

I use a stepper motor with timing belt to enable linear motion in an axis. I can get real time absolute linear position information with the help of linear sensors and convert them to actual step data using math operations. I was trying to find a way to feed this data back to the VI that moves the motor and create a closed control loop using LabView (not MAX). Overshoot and multiple pull in's are not a problem as long as the final position is correct (or within a certain tolerance). I was wondering if it was possible to feed the actual step data (which I received and calculated from linear sensors) to Movement VI's in LabView as "desired position" value? Is this possible? If not, does someone have another suggestion?

Thank you. 

My setup is as follows: PCIe 6321 and BNC 2110 for position measurement

PCI7332 and UMI  7772 for motor control

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(3,939 Views)