From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Motion Control and Motor Drives

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

9512 Encoder Pinouts

Hello Everybody,

I'm planning to drive a stepper motor with a P7000 series driver and a 9512 Module. I will also use an encoder. I would like to read the encoder with the encoder input, namely the MDR Connector, of the 9512 Module. However I couldn't match some pins of the encoder device and the encoder input of the 9512 Module.

I have/could use two different encoders:

-The first one has the following interface signals;

A, B: digital differential, Clock +, Clock -, Data +, Data-

-The second encoder has the following interface signals;

Clock -

Clock +

Data +

Data -

A+

A-

B+

B-

Complementary

Zero setting

CW/CCW(NOT)

+Vdc

0 Vdc

Comparing with the above signals, I couldn't match, especially the Data +, Data -, Clock + and Clock- signals with the NI 9512 MDR Connector Pins.

In addition, the 9512 Encoder doesn't have a CW/CCW(NOT) pin. 

I think that the "Encoder 0 index +" and "Encoder 0 index -" pins of the MDR Connector correspond to the "Zero setting" pin of the encoders, but I am not sure about that.

I would like to use the cRIO system in this application but I have to read the encoder before. I am very confused about this mismatch of the encoders pins and the 9512 encoder input pins.

I need an urgent help.

Thank you very much.

Koray

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(6,462 Views)

Hi Koray,

Those encoders sound like they might be SSI encoders and the 9512 does not support SSI encoders. However, since they also have A and B inputs, it is possible that they can also act as incremental encoders. The only way to know for sure is if you attach the data sheet for each encoder.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(6,456 Views)

Hi Paul,

Thank you for your interest.

The links of the datasheets are given below. The Sick encoder seems to have an incremental interface option. Beside this, as you said, the SSI encoders may be used as an incremental encoders. But, if so, the question is how can I adopt/read these SSI encoders with 9512 module encoder.

https://www.mysick.com/partnerPortal/ProductCatalog/DataSheet.aspx?ProductID=67841

http://www.lika.it/eng/prodotti2.php?idprod=214&ID=2

Thanks,

Koray

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(6,453 Views)

Hi Koray,

Assuming that you have the SSI + Incremental version of the Sick encoder, it will be compatible with the 9512. Keep in mind that the Sick encoder has a sin/cos version as well and that will not be compatible with the 9512. Also, the Sick encoder does not have an index pulse, which can be helpful for homing routines (but is not necessary).

The other encoder might also work, but the data sheet just doesn't have enough information for me to make that determination.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(6,435 Views)