From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Measurement Studio for VC++

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

where are located daqmx C libraries (or API)??

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi all,

i have just installed nidqamx 20.1 with online installer, and i need to find where C libraries (API funcion) are located. I need to use these libraries with external C compiler, not with labview, but i can find their location. The help says that lib files are located in

NI-DAQ\DAQmx ANSI C Dev\include

but i do not have that directory after installation. Rather that the online help says that these libs are located in directory:

National Instruments\Shared\ExternalCompilerSupport\C\

unfortunately i have non of those directory in my "national instrument" folder, i just have something similiar that is

C:\Program Files\National Instruments\Shared\mxef

which contains some similiar libraries, but i don t know whic one i have to link to my project. Please give some ideas,

Kind Regards

Emanuele Peruzzi

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,418 Views)

anyone who can give a hint?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,389 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author emazed

ok, after a long search, i find that current location is

C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\ ...

after hours spent rearching almost randomly, i found that support files are all in x86 folder, even for the x64 bit library version. I can t understand why this is not clearly specified somewhere in help. Help path is wrong, and onlie site help points to wrong location too. I can not also understand why if i need to work with these 2 file, 1 header and one .lib, less that 2MBin total, i mandatory have to install whole NI application set, more than 1.5GB of software.

Kind Regards

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,380 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author emazed

The lib files are only link libraries. They define the dlls that need to be loaded by your app and how to link to those exported functions. Those dll’s load many other dll’s and ultimately call into a bunch of kernel device drivers that interact with each other too.

While the drivers itself don’t quite make up 1.5GB they are ultimately quite a few MBs and the installers contains support for both 32-bit and64-bit Windows. From this only the user part of DAQmx is normally installed in both variants unless you select otherwise in a custom install. The kernel part is always installed according to your Windows version only as the other bitness is useless on a system. And a significant part of the installer are documentation and support files for the various targets such as .Net, C/C++, LabWindows/CVI, the last 4 LabVIEW versions and others.

Also the path without (x86) is correct on 32-bit systems but Microsoft in its infinite wisdom decided to change this path for the 32-bit Windows subsystem on a 64-bit Windows system and reuse the old path for the 64-bit subsystem. Yes it’s a documentation bug but you should know about this Microsoft mixup anyhow when programming in C.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,363 Views)