Measurement Studio for VC++

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Visual Studio 2010 hanging due to Measurment studio error.

Visual Studio 2010 just started hanging badly when I open a project. It was working fine until recently. I am working in Windows 7 and getting the following error from the windows event logs.

Error Message: version == String.Empty Exception: ArgumentException Suggestion: Repair or re-install Measurement Studio. Stack Trace: at NationalInstruments.MeasurementStudio.ParameterCheck.ValidateNotEmpty(String value, String parameterName) at NationalInstruments.MeasurementStudio.Tools.Services.Component..ctor(String name, Guid guid, String version, String description, String installDate, String path) at NationalInstruments.MeasurementStudio.Tools.Services.InstallService.LoadComponents(String componentsKeyName, RegistryKey key)

Any suggestions as to what could have caused this to start happening?

John O'C
Staff Test Systems Engineer
Woodward, Inc.
Skokie, Illinois, USA

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming...
Wow...What a Ride!"
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(4,217 Views)

Hi John,

Do you know if anything changed on your project or system that may have caused this error to start occurring? Additionally, do you know what version of Measurement Studio you have installed?

You can try repairing the software by following the instructions here: http://www.ni.com/product-documentation/54335/en/

You can also try force reinstalling the software to see if that clears the error as well: https://knowledge.ni.com/KnowledgeArticleDetails?id=kA00Z000000P8U0SAK&l=en-US

Best,

Daniel

Applications Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(4,186 Views)

Hi Daniel,

Nothing in my projects have changed. Systemwise that is a tough call as our IT department is constantly pushing updates. Sometimes we are made aware of the updates and sometimes we aren't. 

I am running Measurement Studio 2010 with the extra support for C++. 

John O'C
Woodward, Inc.
Skokie, Illinois, USA

Wow...What a Ride!"
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(4,182 Views)

Daniel,

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling measurement studio 2010. I have tried repairing.  Nothing has worked.

John O'C
Woodward, Inc.
Skokie, Illinois, USA

Wow...What a Ride!"
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(4,178 Views)

John,

Can you check to see if there is a value in the Data field of this registry key? HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\National Instruments\Measurement Studio\VS2010\Components\Integration\NationalInstruments.Mea
surementStudio.CodeGeneration

I found a known issue with Measurement Studio and NI-DAQ with .NET 4.0 support that seems to present similar behavior.

Daniel

Applications Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(4,172 Views)

Daniel,

Believe it or not. The registry key that you referred to is not there. In fact, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\National Instruments\Measurement Studio is not there at all! HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\National Instruments is there but there is no Measurement Studio branch.

John O'C
Woodward, Inc.
Skokie, Illinois, USA

Wow...What a Ride!"
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(4,155 Views)

John,

My mistake, I think it should actually be in Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\National Instruments\Measurement Studio\VS2010\Components\Integration\NationalInstruments.MeasurementStudio.CodeGeneration. At least, that's where it is on my computer for VS2012. If it's not there, you should be able to find it by just hitting ctrl+F in regedit and searching for "CodeGeneration"

Best,

Daniel

Applications Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(4,148 Views)

Daniel,

I found the key that you were referring to. Funny thing, There is a path listed in that key the path is the following... C:\windows\assembly\NationalInstruments.MeasurementStudio.CodeGeneration.dll

I followed the path and the dll in the path is not at the location pointed to by the path.

John O'C
Woodward, Inc.
Skokie, Illinois, USA

Wow...What a Ride!"
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(4,118 Views)

I got this error today. along with the original error.

Error Message: Could not find a part of the path 'LicenseCache\03072019\__ms03072019.tmp'.
Exception: DirectoryNotFoundException
Information: License deserialization failed because the serialization directory does not exist.

John O'C
Woodward, Inc.
Skokie, Illinois, USA

Wow...What a Ride!"
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(4,101 Views)