Measurement Studio for VB6

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ibsta=&H 8000iberr = 7

Hello

I have written an application in visual basic 6.0 which tests for the correct operation of a controller via USB.

I get the following error message

Unable to open Device

Ibsta= &H

8000iberr = 7

What I want to know is: -

What is the failure?

Is it to do with the routine of calls to the device?

Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(6,231 Views)

Hello,

The  iberr code points 488.2 going through an EDVR (0) system error. This error occurs when the interface or device name passed to ibfind of the interface index passed to ibdev cannot be accessed.

Below is more information on the error

EDVR (0)

Error Condition: Operating System error.

Description: EDVR is returned when the board or device name passed to ibfind, or the board index to ibdev, cannot be accessed. The global variable ibcntl contains an error code. This error occurs when you try to access a board or device that is not installed or configured properly.

Possible Cause: Often EDVR errors are caused when you misspell the board name. For example, you may type ”ibfind GPIB9” or “ibfind GPIBo” or “ibfind GPIB 0” instead of “ibfind GPIB0”.

Solutions:

• Use ibdev to open a device without specifying its symbolic name.
  • Use only device or board names that are configured in the GPIB software configuration utility as parameters to the ibfind
  • Use the GPIB Configuration utility to ensure that each board you want to access is configured properly.
  • Use the unit descriptor returned from ibdev or ibfind as the first parameter in subsequent NI-488 functions. Examine the variable before the failing function to make sure its value has not been corrupted.

There is further reading on this topic in the NI-488.2 Reference manual linked below on PDF page 98.

NI-488.2 User Manual for Windows

http://www.ni.com/pdf/manuals/321819e.pdf

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(6,211 Views)

My bad,

I actually pointed towards an error that occurs when iberr = 0, and not iberr = 7.

The actual error that you are getting is ENEB (7). Below is more information on that.

ENEB (7)

Error Condition: Nonexistent GPIB board.

Description: ENEB occurs when no GPIB board exists at the I/O address specified in the configuration program. This problem happens when the board is not physically plugged into the system, the I/O address specified during configuration does not mach the actual board setting, or there is a system conflict with the base I/O address.

Solution:

• Make sure there is a GPIB board in your computer that is properly configured both in hardware and in software using a valid base I/O address.

This makes it seem like the system is having trouble finding or seeing the device. Do you have all the proper drivers for the controller installed? Does the device show up in device manager?

For future reference, the iberr value can be linked to the error description in the 488.2 user manual on PDF page 97. I have linked the pdf again below.

NI-488.2 User Manual for Windows

http://www.ni.com/pdf/manuals/321819e.pdf

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(6,210 Views)