Measurement Studio for VB6

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VB6 with DAQmx compatibility with Microsoft Vista and Win7?

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

I am trying to figure out how to what my options are for running my VB6 apps that use the NI-DAQmx C API with either Vista or Win7.

I have some applications that we have been maintaining in VB6 (with Measurement Studio 6).  Originally I programmed the software for Traditional NI-DAQ hardware.  Which I guess I have been using for about 10 years or so.  About 2 years ago or so we had a need to use our software with newer DaqMX hardware so I was able to  use the NI-DAQmx C API for Visual Basic 6.0.  My application actually supports both hardware platforms simultaneously.  The person responsible for the project wanted to have 1 single application that handled both platforms (daqmx and legacy).  It is all great so far.

Would anyone know what my options are if I want to use Windows Vista or Windows 7.  We currently are running this app on Windows XP.  I am prepared to upgrade my software if necessary although I will have to move over to VB.net and Measurement Studio 7.1 (what I presently own).  But if we needed to switch over tomorrow is there any compatilibility. I read that Traditional/Legacy NI-DAQ is not supported in Vista (and Win7).  I googled and found there was a beta that seemed to weakly to support Legacy but did not support USB devices which is what I have (6020e (legacy), SCXI (daqmx), 6259 (daqmx).  I have heard that Windows 7 will have a Virtualization system for XP applications that don't run natively under Win7 but for whatever reason I doubt that NI hardware and drivers will run this way. 

Also, should there be any differences between Vista and 7? I am an XP user and most of the computers I support are XP so I really don't have any Vista experience.  I am planning on installing the Windows 7 RC to try some of this stuff.

thanks, David 🙂

Message Edited by Chapashop on 05-16-2009 04:51 PM
Message Edited by Chapashop on 05-16-2009 04:52 PM
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 20
(16,991 Views)
To answer your question about Measurement Studio, we stopped adding features for VB6 to Measurement Studio 8.1.2, but we have continued to fix bugs in later versions.  The .NET support, on the other hand, we continue to add features and fix bugs.
Message 2 of 20
(16,965 Views)

David,

From my understanding, Windows7 is basically the same engine as Vista but with a new user interface. NI's DAQ drivers might work with 7, but I doubt NI has done any testing with the new OS since it is just in release candidate.

I know NI did release a beta T-DAQ driver for Vista, but they make it seem like they have not extensively tested it. I found that link here.

If you want your program to work, it might be best to use Vista, if you want to play try 7.

Let me know what happens with 7, I am curious.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 20
(16,950 Views)

Hello David, 

A good resource to see which DAQmx driver is reccomended for various devices using Vista can be found here

-Abram

Message 4 of 20
(16,935 Views)

Mark, Thanks for replying.  I have a quick question regarding these newer versions of Measurement Studio (MS).

I was not aware that MS supported VB6.0 in later versions but since I was primarily developing VB for NI-DAQmx traditional/legacy hardware I did not ever need to use VB6 with newer versions of MS. 

Does MS 8.x allow you to use VB6 to program NI-DAQmx devices?  I assume that is the case. 

Also, have most people that are using DAQmx hardware switched over to .net development?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 20
(16,932 Views)

Mark,

Thanks for the information.  I went through it and it refreshed my memory about conversations I had with NI in 2007 and 2008.

Like I said previously at some point I will migrate over to Visual Studio .net with the latest version of of Measurement Studio.   Switching over

will not be all that painful.  Switching over will force me to clean up my code anyway.  I could try migrating my VB6 code over to .net but I do think that  I do want to update my code so it is more object oriented.

I am still hoping that someone may have info on running my NI-DAQ traditional hardware drivers in an XP virtual mode in Vista or Win7

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 20
(16,912 Views)

Mark,

Thanks for the information.  I went through it and it refreshed my memory about conversations I had with NI in 2007 and 2008.

Like I said previously at some point I will migrate over to Visual Studio .net with the latest version of of Measurement Studio.   Switching over

will not be all that painful.  Switching over will force me to clean up my code anyway.  I could try migrating my VB6 code over to .net but I do think that  I do want to update my code so it is more object oriented.

I am still hoping that someone may have info on running my NI-DAQ traditional hardware drivers in an XP virtual mode in Vista or Win7

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 20
(16,912 Views)
Solution
Accepted by Chapashop

Use of our released Traditional DAQ drivers is not supported on Vista systems, even running in a Windows XP virtual mode. The driver works at a lower level than what a virtual mode can emulate.

We do however have a public beta for a Traditional DAQ driver that works for Vista. You can read about this beta here

-Abram

Message 9 of 20
(16,894 Views)

Abram,

Thanks for your posting.  I was wanting confirmation about the virtual mode.  Although it is not what I wanted to hear it is what I suspected.

Knowing this reinforces my plans to convert over to using NI-DAQmx compatible hardware.

For my older systems that are using Traditional DAQ hardware (like my 6020E USB Daqpad) I can stay with XP and my VB6 apps.

For the stuff that I am developing on DAQmx hardware (my SCXI package).  I will use my current VB6 apps that work with DAQmx (and assume they will work) but quickly  I will start using VB.net, and the latest Measurement Studio.  Here I can stay with XP but at some point in the near future move to Vista or Windows7 all with the DAQmx driver.

David

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 20
(16,888 Views)